Easy Old fashioned Crispy Fried Chicken Wings. First brined, then deep fried in my heavy cast iron skillet.
When I think of good old fashioned comfort food, fried chicken is one of the first food that come to my mind. Seriously, nothing is better than fried chicken for dinner. My favorite part of the chicken has to be the wings. I love a plate with crispy golden chicken wings with a side red beans and rice, collard greens, and buttery cornbread. I swear, It’s the best meal!
In this post I’m going to show you how I make my easy old fashioned crispy fried chicken wings. This recipe is quite simple. The hardest part is waiting on the brining, which takes 4 hours. DO NOT skip out on the brining, otherwise you’re cheating yourself out of some seriously moist and flavorful chicken.
Watch me make these super flavorful crispy fried chicken wings!
Old Fashioned Crispy Fried Chicken Wings
- 4 cups cold water
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 lb chicken wings
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups of corn oil for frying
- Wash the chicken under cool water, then place it in large bowl or container.
- Combine 4 cups cold water, 1 tbsp salt, and 2 tbsp sugar.
- Stir until the salt and sugar dissolve.
- Pour the brine ( sugar/salt/water) into the bowl or container with the chicken.
- Make sure that the chicken is covered with the brine.
- Cover the bowl/container, then place in the refrigerator for about 4 hours.
- Drain the brine from the bowl, but do not rinse the chicken.
- Season the chicken with the poultry seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, and smoked paprika.
- Combine the all purpose flour, cornstarch, and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Pour the flour mixture into a large freezer bag, then toss in the chicken wings.
- Shake the bag, until the chicken is well coated with flour.
- Remove the chicken from the bag, and shake off any excess flour.
- Pour the oil into a large skillet, and let it heat up over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Carefully add in the chicken, and fry until golden brown.
- Place the chicken on a paper towel lined plate.
- Serve and enjoy!