Homemade southern style dirty rice with ground turkey & seasoned with onions, peppers, garlic, and cajun seasoning.
There are so many recipe for dirty rice. Heck, I think that I have about 4 of them. My mother, on the other hand has about two homemade dirty rice recipes. One of her recipes call for chicken, and cream of mushroom soup, and the other is more of a traditional southern style dirty rice recipe with peppers and ground beef. I like both of her recipes, but over the years I have come up with my own variations of the recipe. Over the past year I’ve pretty much been sticking to one recipe, and I love it so much that I have to share it with you.
These days I’ve been making my quick, and easy homemade southern style dirty rice. I use instant rice, so it really speed up the cooking process for this dish. Instead of using ground beef like most of the traditional dirty rice recipes, I use regular ground turkey. This helps cut down the fat content. However, if you really want to use ground beef in this recipe, you can. I use a combination of sweet bell peppers, yellow onions, garlic, and jalapeños. If you don’t like your dirty rice spicy you can omit the jalapeños, or just remove the seeds( I remove the seeds because my hubby, and son aren’t huge fans of spicy dishes).
In addition to all the flavorful peppers and onions, I use cajun seasoning to spice up this dish. Once the meat, rice, and etc is mixed, I pour in chicken broth. The chicken broth cooks the rice, and of course it adds flavor. If you don’t have any chicken broth on hand, you may use water. Just be alarmed that it won’t be as flavorful as it would be, with the broth.
Okay. Are you ready to make some homemade dirty rice? Let’s get started!
Check out my video for visual instructions
- 1 lb regular ground turkey( not ground turkey breast)
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 large jalapeno pepper ( I removed the seeds)
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tsp cajun season
- 1 tbsp olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 cup instant rice
- 1¼ cup chicken broth
- Brown the ground turkey over medium heat, then drain the fat.
- Sprinkle in the cajun seasoning, then stir.
- Remove the meat from the skillet, then add in the oil.
- Toss in the garlic, onions, peppers, and thyme.
- Cook until the peppers & onions soften, then add the meat back in skillet.
- Mix the ingredients, then sprinkle in the instant rice, and stir.
- Pour in the chicken broth, and stir the ingredients.
- Let cook for about 5-7 minutes, or until the rice is cooked & the broth is dissolved.
- Serve & enjoy!