Creamy southern macaroni salad with sweet peppers, diced boiled eggs, onions, fresh tomatoes, carrots, and a easy homemade dressing!
Many years ago I shared a classic macaroni salad recipe on YouTube. Although a ton of people loved the recipe, a lot my viewers were shocked to see me add diced boiled eggs in my macaroni salad. Though they were shocked, they LOVED the idea. Again, I called it my ” classic macaroni salad”. However, A lot of my viewers stated that it was a southern macaroni salad recipe. Honestly, it was the only way my mom had made her macaroni salad when I was younger.. But my mom’s folks are from Louisiana, so of course she made it the southern way😆 .
Anyways, these days I still use most of the same ingredients. Of course I use elbow macaroni pasta( gotta have that right?!). I also like to use fresh ingredients such as sweet roma tomatoes, onions, carrots, bell peppers, and celery. I like using both sweet & dill relish to give the salad a nice sweet and tangy taste, and I also add dash of garlic powder.
This homemade southern macaroni salad is perfect for potlucks, holiday spreads, picnics, and cooks outs. Give my a try, and tell me what you think of it down below!
Southern Macaroni Salad
- 4 cups macaroni pasta
- 4 medium sized eggs
- 1 small onion diced
- 1/2 cup matchstick carrots OR shredded carrots
- 3 roma tomatoes diced
- 1 large sweet bell pepper diced
- 2 ribs of celery diced
- 1/4 cup sweet relish
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 2/3 cup dill relish
- 2 tbsp dill pickle juice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Boil the pasta in lightly salted water ( I added 1 tsp salt to about 8 cups water), until it's cooked but still firm.
- Drain the pasta, the rinse under cool water, and let the pasta cool.
- Boil the eggs, then once done dice them.
- Clean all the veggies, and then dice them ( don't dice the carrots though! Shred them).
- Combine the mayonnaise, sweet relish, dill relish, garlic powder, black pepper, and dill pickle juice.
- Mix well.
- Combine the pasta, eggs, and veggies.
- Pour in the mayonnaise mixture, then fold all the ingredients.
- Make sure everything is well incorporated.
- Place the macaroni salad in a large storage bowl, and cover.
- Refrigerate until it's nice and cool.
- Serve & Enjoy!
Check out some of my other Pasta Salad Recipes!