How to cook southern, soul food style, fried cabbage with bacon, onions, and peppers.
Lately I’ve been craving cabbage like crazy. Luckily I have many good cabbage recipes. The last cabbage recipe that I posted was for my southern cabbage with ham hock, which I made in the slow cooker. A lot of my viewers tried and loved that recipe, so I’m back with another southern cabbage recipe(I have so many southern cabbage recipes hunny!). This time around I’m going to show you how to make southern fried cabbage with bacon!
This recipe is quite easy, and you only need a couple ingredients to whip up this southern dish. I like to serve my southern fried cabbage with cornbread, and roast chicken. However, you can eat this cabbage alone.
This recipe is part of a Virtual Potluck!
Some of the best black food bloggers from around the web have come together for black history month. We’ve created 28 mouth watering recipes for you to try! Please check out my recipe Southern Fried Cabbage, and be sure to check out the other amazing blogs & recipes listed below my recipe. Happy Black History Month!
- 3 pound head of cabbage, sliced & washed
- ½ pound thick cut bacon, cut in small pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Toss the bacon into a large pot or pan, then place over medium heat.
- Cook the bacon until it's browned, and most of the fat is rendered.
- Remove the bacon pieces from the pan/pot, then set to the side.
- Toss in the cabbage, peppers, and onions.
- NOTE: EVERYTHING WILL NOT FIT INTO THE POT AT FIRST. ONCE IT COOKS, IT WILL SHRINK!
- Once the cabbage and other ingredients start to get tender( about 10 minutes) sprinkle in the salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Cook for another 5 minutes or so, then toss in the bacon.
- Stir the ingredients, then add everything into your serving dish.
- Serve and enjoy!