Beef roast seared with seasonings, fresh herbs, onions and garlic. Then slow cooked until it’s fork tender!
Hey cousins! So many of you have been asking for slow cooker recipes, so I’ll continue pumping them out. In this post I’m going to show you how I make my slow cooker smothered beef roast.
This recipe is quite easy. I use a package of onion mushroom soup mix, however regular onion soup mix is okay as well!
At the end of this recipe I add heavy cream to make the gravy nice and creamy. If you’re not a fan of adding cream to your gravy, that step can be omitted.
Be sure to share this recipe on Facebook & Pinterest with your friends! XOXO
Don’t miss out on any recipes – make sure you’re subscribed to I Heart Recipes on YouTube now!
Slow Cooker Smothered Roast
- 4.5 -5 lb beef chuck roast
- 2 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion sliced
- 8-10 cloves garlic
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2-3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 envelope mushroom onion soup mix regular onion soup mix is okay
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 tbsp browning seasoning
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- Season all surfaces of the roast with the garlic salt & black pepper, then set to the side.
- Drizzle the vegetable oil into a large pan, then place the pan over medium heat.
- Once the vegetable oil is nice and hot add in the roast followed by the rosemary, thyme, onions, and garlic.
- Be sure to sear all sides of the roast.
- Once the roast is nicely seared, place it into a 4-6 qt slow cooker. Also be sure to add in the herbs, onions, and garlic.
- Now sprinkle in the onion soup mix, and pour in 3 cups chicken broth. Also add the browning seasoning at this time.
- Turn the slow cooker on high and let cook for 6 hours.
- During the last hour of cooking, add 2 tbsp of heavy cream, and 2 tbsp of all purpose flour.
- Mix everything well, then place the lid back on the slow cooker.
- Once the roast is done serve and enjoy with mashed potatoes, pasta, or rice.