How to make Southern, Soul Food style smothered turkey wings in the slow cooker. Featuring a homemade mushroom and onion gravy that is out of this world!
A Delicious Slow Cooker Smothered Turkey Wings Recipe!
Hey y’all!! So the other day I was craving some good old fashioned southern smothered turkey wings. However, I didn’t want to bake them in the oven. I know this sounds lazy, but I just didn’t want to do all the necessary steps for oven baked smothered turkey wings. You know.. The seasoning, then the baking, then making the gravy.. THEN removing the wings out of then oven, adding the graving, and MORE baking… Nope, I wasn’t having it y’all. I just wanted some smothered turkey wings, with less steps. That’s when I decided to cook my smothered turkey wings in the slow cooker!
I knew that if I made my turkey wings in the slow cooker it would prevent me from having to several steps. However, I still wanted to put in a little time to make a homemade gravy, because let’s face it- There ain’t no substitute for homemade gravy! No jar, no gravy mix, and no canned soup is going to even come close to that soulful homemade gravy that Grandma use to make. So let’s just keep it real, and make REAL GRAVY.
While you’re here, check out some of my other turkey wing recipes!
The homemade gravy that I made for these wings is a winner, and it’s prefect to go on rice or mashed potatoes. The gravy is loaded with fresh mushrooms & onions, and you already know that it’s seasoned perfection!
By slow cooking the turkey wings, they are sure to be falling of the bone tender once done.
Be sure to watch the video tutorial for a visual. If you have any questions or comments leave them down below!
Print the recipe below, subscribe to my mailing list and follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and YouTube!
Slow Cooker Smothered Turkey Wings
- 2 large turkey wings separated in 3 parts( flat, drum, tip)
- 1 large red onion diced
- 4-5 fresh sage leaves chopped
- 1 large portobello mushroom diced
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3 tsp seasoning salt
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp celery seed
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 6 cups chicken or turkey broth
- Combine the flour and seasonings into a large bowl and whisk.
- Coat the turkey wings with the flour, then let sit for about 5-10 minutes.
- DO NOT TOSS OUT THE EXCESS FLOUR!
- Pour 1/2 cup of the vegetable oil into a large pan, and turn the heat to medium.
- Once the oil is nice and hot, add in some of the turkey, but be sure to not overcrowd the pan.
- Remove the turkey once browned, and place the turkey into the slow cooker.
- Next, toss the onions and mushrooms into the pan, and cook until translucent.
- Toss the onions and mushrooms into the slow cooker with the turkey wings.
- Pour the remaining vegetable oil into the pan.
- Once the oil is nice and hot, sprinkle in the excess flour.
- Cook the flour until it is nice and brown, and be sure to stir continuously .
- Carefully pour in the chicken or turkey broth, and whisk.
- Once the mixture is nice and smooth, add in the fresh sage.
- Stir the gravy, then pour it over the turkey wings.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker.
- Set the slow cooker on LOW and let cook for 6 hours.
- Serve with rice or mashed potatoes, and greens!