Southern style macaroni and cheese casserole, smothered in a homemade creamy cheese sauce, and layered with tons of cheese!
By now you know I am the queen of macaroni and cheese recipes. I’ve shared so many! I have a southern baked macaroni and cheese recipe, a slow cooker mac and cheese, stovetop macaroni and cheese, and even a soul food macaroni and cheese. I guess it’s safe to say that macaroni and cheese is definitely one of my favorite dishes. There’s just something about creamy cheesy macaroni and cheese that I can’t resist..
I always get asked which macaroni and cheese recipe I like best, but honestly – I love ALL my macaroni and cheese recipes! If you ask me they are all the bomb, like seriously. I know a lot of you LOVE my southern baked macaroni and cheese recipe, while others swear by my slow cooker macaroni, and cheese- And the soul food macaroni and cheese has bee a holiday favorite since I dropped it. HOWEVER, I’m about to blow your minds with this right here southern baked macaroni and cheese casserole recipe!
This macaroni and cheese casserole is the creamiest, cheesiest, best ever macaroni and cheese recipe.. ( Drops the mic.. and walks away…) I’m not playing y’all!
And guess what?! I only use two different cheese in this recipe! Two EASY TO FIND cheeses!! No more searching for hard to find cheeses, I got you covered with this one.
I can go on, and on… but just watch the video below, and see how creamy and cheesy this macaroni and cheese is for yourself!
Don’t forget to share this recipe on Facebook & Pinterest!
Southern Baked Macaroni and Cheese Casserole
- 3 cups uncooked elbow macaroi
- 6 tbsp salted butter
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups half & half
- 2 tsp seasoning salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 16 oz sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup Italian panko bread crumbs
- to get started with this amazing southern baked macaroni and cheese casserole, you will have to bring some water to a boil, over high heat.
- Once the water is boiling, add in the 3 cups of uncooked elbow macaroni pasta, and cook until it's nice and firm, but not overly cooked.
- Next, toss 4 tbsp of salted butter into a large sauce pan, and melt over medium heat.
- Once the butter is melted, sprinkle in 3 tbsp of all purpose flour.
- Whisk the flour with the butter, and make sure that there aren't any lumps.
- Now pour the half & half into the sauce pan, and whisk until smooth.
- Let the flour, butter, and half & half mixture cook until it starts to thicken, then reduce the heat to low medium.
- Add in 8 oz of shredded sharp cheddar cheese, and mix until well incorporated.
- Sprinkle the seasoning salt & black pepper in the cheese sauce, and stir.
- Place the cooked & drained elbow macaroni pasta into a large bowl, then add in the cheese sauce.
- Fold the macaroni and cheese sauce until everything is well incorporated.
- Grab a 9x13 bake dish, and butter or lightly oil it.
- Combine the remaining shredded sharp cheddar cheese with the shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Add a layer of the macaroni and cheese at the bottom of the bake dish, then top with a heavy layer of cheese. Repeat
- Melt two tbsp of salted butter, and combine it with the Italian panko bread crumbs.
- Top the creamy macaroni and cheese casserole with the buttery panko bread crumbs.
- Bake in the oven, uncovered, on 350 F for about 25-30 minutes.
- Serve & enjoy the best ever southern baked macaroni and cheese casserole!!