Creamy cheesy southern, soul food macaroni and cheese made in the slow cooker. No boiling pasta, no eggs, and without Velvetta & evaporated milk!
A Simple Recipe for Slow Cooker Greek Yogurt Mac & Cheese!
My slow cooker macaroni and cheese recipe has got to be one of my top recipes here on iheartrecipes.com! I shared my easy CrockPot mac and cheese in February 2016, and since then it has been a featured on several websites, social media sites, and even talked about on the radio( What’s up Jersey!). Anywho, I figured since you all liked that version of my slow cooker macaroni and cheese – Why not share another?! In this blog post, I’m going to show you how to make Greek Yogurt Mac & Cheese in the slow cooker!
So before we get started, let me tell you that there are some ingredients that will make you think that I lost my darn mind. However, I need you to trust me on this y’all. The ingredients might sounds strange, but I promise that there is nothing funny about the taste nor texture!
Soooo, what funny ingredients am I speaking of?! Are you ready??.. GREEK YOGURT, and CHICKEN BROTH! Yup, these key ingredients are not to be skipped. My last recipe consisted of canned cheese soup. A lot of you loved it, but I want to give you an alternative to using canned soups and Velvetta when making macaroni and cheese. Don’t get me wrong. I love both, but it’s nice to try new things!
While you’re here, check out my other macaroni and cheese recipes!
The greek yogurt is going to give our macaroni and cheese a thick creamy texture, that is freaking divine. The chicken broth is added help to cook the pasta, AND add flavor.
I simply combine the greek yogurt & chicken broth with half and half, melted butter, and seasonings. The outcome = A DARN good, and creamy mac & cheese sauce!
Print the recipe below and subscribe to my mailing list for more! Follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and YouTube!
Watch me make this creamy cheesy Greek yogurt macaroni and cheese in my slow cooker!
Southern Style Slow Cooker Mac & Cheese
- 1 lb elbow macaroni pasta uncooked
- 1/2 lb smoked gouda cheese shredded
- 1 1/2 lb sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 lb monterey jack cheese shredded
- 32 oz Greek yogurt
- 1 cup half & half OR 1/2 cup whole milk & half cup heavy cream
- 4 tbsp salted butter melted
- 2 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tsp seasoning salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- In a large bowl combine the greek yogurt, butter, chicken broth, and half & half.
- Stir until well combined.
- Sprinkle in the seasoning salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, and cayenne pepper.
- Stir until everything is well incorporated.
- Next toss the uncooked macaroni into the slow cooker.
- Now add the cheese in the slow cooker.
- Stir, then pour in the creamy mixture( greek yogurt, chicken broth, and etc..)
- Stir everything until well incorporated.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker, then set the slow cooker on low.
- Let cook for 3 hours.
- Serve and enjoy!