These smothered potatoes and sausage make the perfect side dish. They’re easy to make, budget friendly, and of course delicious!
Y’all know how much I love smothered recipes, so I’m back with another one. This time around I’m sharing my recipe for southern smothered potatoes & sausage. In the past I’ve shared a recipe for regular smothered potatoes, but somehow that recipe disappeared (I’m still trying to figure out how!). No worries though, because this smothered potato recipe is even better than the first one!
These potatoes are fried, and smothered with onions and smoked sausage. Everything is cooked until it’s fork tender, and the flavors marry.
Try this recipe & don’t forget to share it on PINTEREST
Smothered Potatoes & Sausage
- 5-6 medium russet potatoes washed, peeled, and sliced
- 1 large yellow onion sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper sliced
- 1 lb smoked sausage sliced
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil maybe a tad less than 1/2 cup
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- Start off by washing, then peeling the potatoes.
- Next slice the potatoes in even slices (so that they can cook evenly!)
- Place the peeled & sliced potatoes in a large bowl with water to prevent the potatoes from browning, then dice up the other ingredients.
- Pour the vegetable oil in a large skillet, and heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add in the sliced smoked sausage, and cook until browned, then remove from the pan.
- Now drain, and pat dry the potatoes, then add in the potatoes into the hot oil, and fry.
- Once the potatoes start to get nice and tender, add in the peppers and onions.
- Sprinkle in the salt, pepper, and garlic powders.
- Pour in the chicken broth, and fold the ingredients.
- Toss the smoked sausage back into the pan, and combine the ingredients.
- Cook until everything is nice and tender, and the broth is absorbed by the potatoes.
- Serve and enjoy!