An Easy Smothered Okra with Chicken and Sausage Recipe!
I LOVE cajun smothered okra with chicken and sausage. But then again, y’all know I have a thing for cajun and creole food. Like seriously. I can never get enough of Seafood Gumbo, Red beans and rice, and Jambalaya. I don’t know if it’s because of my Louisiana roots, or what, but I can never pass up a good old fashioned cajun or creole dish!
While you’re here, check out some of my other cajun dishes!
I love making smothered okra with chicken & sausage because it’s not only freaking AH-MAZING, but it’s also inexpensive. The main ingredients are chicken, smoked sausage, okra, onions, celery, and bell pepper. ALL super affordable ingredients.
For the chicken I like to use party wings ( the wingettes & drumettes), however chicken thighs, and legs can be used(some people even use chicken breast). As for the sausage, I used cajun andouille sausage is used for this dish. HOWEVER, you can use regular smoked sausage ( hot or spicy).
To season this dish I used as nice amount of garlic, black pepper, and cajun seasoning. If you’d like to add more spice to your dish, feel free to add in some red pepper flakes.
To achieve a nice rich brown color, I added in a nice amount of paprika. Adding the paprika is completely optional!
Try making these dishes as well!
- Seafood, Chicken, and Andouille Sausage Gumbo
- Cheesy Garlic & Herb Cornbread
- Best Louisiana Pralines
- Shrimp & Sausage Creole
For more recipes, subscribe to my mailing list and follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and YouTube!
Check out & print the recipe here!
Smothered Okra with Chicken and Sausage
- 9 oz chopped okra fresh or frozen
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper chopped
- 2 stalks of celery chopped
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 lb chicken wings
- 3 smoked sausage links mild or hot, sliced
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Season the chicken wings with 1/2 tsp of cajun seasoning
- Pour the vegetable oil into a large pot, then turn the heat to medium high.
- Once the oil is nice and hot, add it the chicken wings.
- Brown the wings, then remove them from the pot.
- Next, toss in the sausage, and cook until browned. Remove from the pot.
- Toss in the onions, bell peppers, and celery.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, then add in the okra.
- Stir, and cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Pour in 1/4 cup of chicken broth, stir, and cover.
- Reduce the heat to medium, then let cook for 20 minutes.
- Next, add in the chicken & sausage.
- Fold the ingredients, then pour in the remaining chicken broth.
- Add in the garlic & seasonings, and fold.
- Cover, and let simmer over low medium heat for about 1 hour or so.
- Be sure to stir periodically!
- Once done, the chicken should be falling of the bones.
- Serve with rice and/ or cornbread!