An Easy Recipe for Chicken and Sausage Stew!
Hey folks! As promised, I will be sharing cold weather-friendly recipes. I really wanted to share this Chicken and Sausage Stew with you all because it’s perfect for any occasion. It’s actually a great alternative for Seafood Gumbo. It cost a lot less than seafood gumbo, but still satisfies that gumbo craving. You can serve a big pot of this at any of your upcoming gatherings. I find that this goes great with cornbread and/or biscuits!
Don’t forget to tag and follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest, subscribe to I Heart Recipes on YouTube, and check out all my cookbooks! I just released a brand new cookbook, Super Soul Food with Cousin Rosie, with many recipes you can’t find anywhere else.
Chicken and Sausage Stew
- 1 whole chicken approx. 4-5 lbs
- 1 lb smoked beef sausage
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 bunch green onions
- 3 long stalks of celery
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 ½ cups canned tomatoes
- 2 lbs russet potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 lb chopped okra fresh or frozen
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 64 oz chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 tbsp salt-free seasoning
- 1 tsp seasoning salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smokey paprika
- 1 tbsp poultry seasoning
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp gumbo filet
- Cut up whole chicken (breast, legs, thighs) and rinse under cold water.
- Chop all vegetables; red bell pepper, green onions, and celery.
- Chop smoked beef saugage. If you don’t like beef, you can use turkey or chicken sausage too!
- Place all chicken into your roaster oven and add all seasonings (salt-free seasoning, seasoning salt, garlic powder, poultry seasoning, paprika, etc.).
- Add all chopped and frozen vegetables and chopped sausage.
- Add can of chopped tomatoes.
- Pour in chicken broth and water.
- Cover roaster oven and cook for 1 ½ hours at 325.
- Remove from oven and use a ladle or spoon to skim some of the fat off the top to make a gravy (take about 1/4 cup of fat).
- Make gravy with flour and fat and add back into stew mixture.
- Cook stew covered for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven. Add chopped and peeled russet potatoes. Stir until well mixed, recover stew, and cook for another 35 minutes.
- During the last 5 minutes of cooking, add gumbo filet to thicken up the stew (and add some nice flavor!). Mix in until well combined. Cover and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Serve stew over white rice and a biscuit or cornbread for a side!
To Make Gravy:
- Add the skimmed fat to a pan over medium high heat and add ½ cup of all-purpose flour. Cook flour and fat mixture until it is brown in color and thicker (it will slightly resemble ground beef).
- Pour gravy mixture back into roaster oven and stir into chicken stew.
- Use some of the liquid to deglaze the hot gravy pan to get all of the gravy mixture from the pan.