How to make a easy homemade strawberry shortcake cheesecake with 4 layers of strawberry cake, creamy cheesecake, whipped cream cheese frosting, and crunchy strawberry flavored cookie crumbles!
Hey y’all! So many of you have been requesting a ton of strawberry dessert recipes. Well let me just remind you that I can’t do a lot of them. WHY? Because Mrs. Rosie is allergic to strawberries! Yes indeed I am allergic to them, and will not be baking anything with them anytime soon. HOWEVER, there are a few strawberry desserts that I can make for you without risking my life. This strawberry shortcake cheesecake is one of them!
How in the world did I manage to make a strawberry shortcake cheesecake without using actual strawberries? I used strawberry gelatin! It gave me just enough strawberry flavor FOR ME. If you are one of those lucky people that can eat strawberries ( I dislike you!!! HAHA) ,you can add strawberries to the cake batter. There will be directions on how to do so in the recipe below.
Just a lil FYI, this recipe is a tad bit time consuming. We’re actually using a boxed cake mix, that we will add stuff to. However, we’re also making a homemade cheesecake, as well homemade whipped cream cheese frosting. Yes, there are a lot of steps to follow, but I promise it will be worth it!
Watch my tutorial for this strawberry shortcake cheesecake
- 15.25 oz of Duncan Hines Classic White cake mix
- 3 large egg whites
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup milk
- 6 oz box of Strawberry Gelatin mix
- ½ cup mashed strawberries (optional)
- 16 oz cream cheese
- 1½ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- Shortcake Crumbles & Cheesecake Crust
- (2) 11.5 oz packages of butter cookies
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp ice water
- 6 oz box of Strawberry Gelatin Mix
- 3 drops of red food coloring
- Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 2¼ cup confectioners sugar
- Sprinkle the cake mix into a large bowl, then whisk to get rid of the lumps.
- Next sprinkle a 6 oz package of strawberry gelatin into the mixing bowl, then whisk in with the cake mix.
- Add in 3 large egg whites, ¼ cup of vegetable oil, and 1 cup of milk.
- Mix the cake batter at a low speed, until the cake batter is smooth and lump free.
- Spray (2) 9 inch cake pans with baking spray.
- Pour the cake batter into each cake pan, filling them each about ¾ full.
- Bake the cakes on 350 F, for about 20 minutes or until done.
- Remove the cakes from the oven, let sit for 5 minutes, then remove from the pan, and cool on a cooling rack.
- Place 16 ounces of cream cheese, cornstarch, and ½ cup of whipping cream into a mixing bowl into a mixing bowl, and mix.
- Start adding in the eggs, but one at a time.
- Next add in the vanilla extract, followed by the sugar.
- Mix until the cheesecake filling is nice and smooth.
- Grab a 9 inch cake pan and spray it with baking spray.
- Place some parchment paper at the bottom of the cake pan.
- Pour 3 cups of cheesecake filling into the pan.
- Place the cake pan on top of a cookie sheet, the pour about1½ cups of water into the cookie sheet, NOT THE CHEESECAKE.
- Bake the cheesecake for about 30 minutes on 350 F.
- Remove the cheesecake out of the oven, and let cool completely.
- Next add about 15 butter cookies into a food processor along with 4 tbsp of butter, and 1 tbsp of ice water.
- Pulse until it resembles cookie dough.
- Spray a 9 inch springform pan with baking spray then add the cookie mixture in the pan.
- Press the cookie mixture into the bottom of the pan, and about ¼ inch up around the sides.
- Bake in the oven on 350 F for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and let cool.
- Pour the remaining of the cheesecake filling into the springform, and smooth out.
- Bake on 350 F for about 30-35 minutes.
- Add the remaining cookies into the food processor, along with 1 tbsp ice water, and 4 tbsp of butter.
- Pulse until it resembles large crumbs.
- Remove half of the cookie mixture, and set to the side.
- Add a 6 oz package of strawberry gelatin into the food processor, and a couple drops of red food coloring.
- Pulse until about 5 times.
- Line a cookie sheet with foil, then sprinkle the red and white cookie crumb on the sheet,
- Bake on 350 F for 10 minutes.
- Remove, and let cook, then stir the crumbles.
Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
- Add ½ cup of softened butter, and 8 oz of cream cheese into a mixing bowl.
- Mix until well incorporated.
- Add in ½ cup of whipping cream, and 1 tbsp of vanilla. Mix until well combined.
- Sprinkle in 2¼ cups of confectioners sugar, and mix until the frosting is smooth and lump free.
Assemble the cake
- First Layer: Cheesecake with Crust
- Second Layer: Strawberry Cake
- Third Layer: Crustless cheesecake
- Forth Layer: Strawberry cake
- Frost the sides, and top of the cake.
- Sprinkle the shortcake crumbs on top of the cake, and pat on the sides as well.
- Let the cake sit for about 20 minutes before cutting into it.
For the cake I used Duncan Hines Classic White Cake. You can use a different cake mix if you choose. Just make sure that you follow the back of the cake box, but replace the water with milk.
The butter cookies that I used were Lil Dutch Maid Butter Ring Cookies.