Everyone know’s how much I love breakfast food. Eggs, bacon, pancakes, waffles…You name it, I love it! As I mentioned before, I could seriously eat breakfast food all day and not get tired of it. I’m the same way when it comes to desserts. If I could get away with eating cake all day, I probably would indulge. No joke!
Anyways, recently my husband and I went out for breakfast, and I spotted one of the most delightful things on the menu: Pineapple Upside Down Pancakes! I could not believe it! Of course I had to order it. I mean, come on, did you seriously think that I would pass up the opportunity to eat pineapple upside down pancakes? It’s like eating dessert for breakfast!
When I received the pancakes, this was my reaction on Instagram:
They were good! I really liked them. I knew from jump that I wanted to recreate these pancakes; however, I wanted to make a couple of changes.
# 1 The pancakes were good; however, I don’t think it was made from scratch. Now this isn’t necessarily a deal breaker for me, but I decided to make my own batter.
# 2 The pineapple chunks were a little too big for me. I wanted to use crushed pineapple instead of huge chunks.
# 3 I wanted the pancakes to taste more like pineapple upside down cake; therefore, I made it sweeter and added more vanilla extract with a dash of almond extract.
So, after I played around in the kitchen, I came up with a recipe for homemade pineapple upside down pancakes. Believe it or not, these pancakes are SUPER easy to make. I think that they would be perfect for Easter or Christmas breakfast or brunch. Maybe even for Mother’s Day!
Check out how I made these amazing pineapple upside down pancakes!
Let me know how you enjoyed this recipe. Tag me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest, subscribe to I Heart Recipes on YouTube, and check out my brand new cookbook, Super Soul Food with Cousin Rosie, loaded with many recipes you can’t find anywhere else.
Pineapple Upside Down Pancakes
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple
- 2-3 tbsp butter for the griddle or pan
- * whipped cream
- * cherries
- Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, ground cinnamon, and ground nutmeg together in a large bowl.
- Add in the buttermilk, egg, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and almond extract.
- Mix everything until well combined.
- Add in the crushed pineapple, and fold in.
- Be sure to not over mix the batter!
- Preheat your griddle or pan or medium heat.
- Melt butter on the griddle, then pour the pancake batter.
- You can make the pancakes as small or as big as you want.
- Cook the pancakes until they are golden brown.
- Plate, then add whipped cream and cherries on top.