It’s about that time to share my recipe for my infamous Pineapple Upside Down Cake. Originally, I could not find any recipes that impressed me, and honey, I searched high and low. Some cakes were just too sweet, and other cakes were far too dry. Finally, I found a recipe that was pretty good, but it had room for improvement. I simply replaced a couple ingredients, added a few more, and I was good to go! This Pineapple Upside Down Cake is simply amazing! It’s moist, fluffy, sweet and buttery. What else could you ask for?! This cake is perfect for special occasions and Sunday dinner. Make sure you follow this recipe, and do not replace a thing! Trust me. As long as you follow these directions, you will bake the Best Pineapple Upside Down Cake EVER. Try it out!
This Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipe is a Must-Try!
The Best Pineapple Upside Down Cake Ever
- 20 oz can of pineapple rings in pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter flavored shortening
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp pineapple juice
- 3 tbsp of maraschino cherries
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Place the ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add the butte flavored shortening, and buttermilk with the dry ingredients, and mix with a hand held mixer.
- Next add the egg, then continue to mix.
- Add 2 tbsp of pineapple juice, and 1 tsp of vanilla extract, then mix the cake batter until it’s smooth.
- In a large cast iron skillet, melt down the butter. Once the butter is melted, add the brown sugar in and stir.
- Let the brown sugar and butter cool down for about 5 minutes, then arrange the pineapples and the cherries at the bottom of the skillet.
- Pour the cake batter over the pineapples and cherries in the cast iron skillet.
- Place the cake in the oven on 350 for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove the cake once it’s done, and let it cool for 20 minutes.
- Once the cake has cooled, get a cake stand or plate and empty the cake out of the cast iron skillet.
- Serve alone, or with ice cream.
Did you like this Pineapple Upside Down Cake? Try these other cake recipes!
Don’t forget to tag and follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest, subscribe to I Heart Recipes on YouTube, and check out all my cookbooks! I just released a brand new cookbook, Super Soul Food with Cousin Rosie, with many recipes you can’t find anywhere else.