A Delicious Recipe for Orange Cinnamon Rolls with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting!
I’ve been getting a lot of request for rolls lately. I really wanted to share this orange rolls with orange cream cheese frosting with you all because it’s long overdue. The last sweet roll recipe I shared, I believe, was my Easy Cinnamon Roll Recipes, and that was two years ago. This recipe for orange rolls is actually time-consuming. There is a lot of kneading involved, a lot of time needed to let the dough rest, etc.; however, I ensure you that this is one of the best sweet rolls that you will ever taste. The citrus, the creamy frosting, and the fluffy rolls are just a match made in heaven. Give this recipe a try and tell me what you think.
Remember to follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest and subscribe to I Heart Recipes on YouTube! I also just released a brand new cookbook, Super Soul Food with Cousin Rosie, filled with new delicious recipes.
Orange Rolls with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3 1/2 cups of all purpose flour sifted
- 2/3 cup sugar
- .25 oz package of active yeast
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup hot whole milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup butter flavored shortening
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp orange zest
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 8 oz cream cheese softedned
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 1 1/4 cup confectioners sugar
- will also need 1 tbsp of melted butter to brush on the rolls
- Add the active yeast into the cup of HOT water, and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl add the all purpose flour, the tsp of salt, 2/3 cup sugar. Whisk all the ingredients.
- Add in the shortening, egg, hot water/yeast mix, and hot milk. Mix the dough.
- On a floured surface knead the dough for about 10 minutes. The dough will be soft.
- Let the dough rest in a covered container for at least one hour or until the dough doubles in size.
- Flatten the dough on a flat flour surface.
- Brush on 1/4 cup of butter, then sprinkle on the sugar, next add the orange zest.
- Roll the dough like a pinwheel.
- Cut the dough into 1 1/2 inch wide sections.
- Place the rolls into a buttered bake pan, and cover.
- Let the rolls sit for about 45 minutes or until they almost double in size.
- Preheat the oven on 375 F.
- Bake the rolls for about 20 minutes, and remove from the oven. Brush a little butter onto the rolls, then place back into the oven for 5-7 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl add the softened cream cheese, and softened 1/4 cup butter. Mix.
- Add the confectioners sugar, and mix until smooth.
- Next add in the orange juice and the vanilla extract, and mix.
- Remove the rolls from the oven, and let cool.
- Frost the rolls, and serve!