This French toast casserole is a delightful fusion of sweet caramel and tart apples, elevating a classic breakfast dish to gourmet levels. Drawing inspiration from time-honored culinary traditions, it showcases the versatile role of apples in creating memorable dishes.
Alright, Cousin, gather ’round ’cause I’ve got some news that’ll make your taste buds dance. You know when the smell of cinnamon-coated apples starts twerking with that sweet ol’ caramel scent? Yeah, it’s like they’re having a party, and guess who’s the guest of honor? That’s right, French toast. Now, I ain’t talking about your regular French toast. Nope! We’re talking Overnight Caramel Apple French Toast Casserole. That’s right, Cousin! This dish is absolutely fabulous, and you gotta try it. So let’s dive into this taste sensation together.
Let’s take a moment to talk about French toast. It’s a breakfast favorite that has charmed people all over the globe. Originating as a simple solution to use up stale bread, it has now transformed into a dish that can be garnished with a variety of sophisticated toppings.
As for caramel, think of it as a melody that perfectly hits every note. Its rich, velvety texture combined with its sweet flavor is irresistible. Pair that with the slightly acidic taste of apples, and you have a balanced duo that’s hard to beat. It’s the delightful blend of sweet caramel and tart apples that makes it so captivating.
Now, about apples – they’ve been a staple in culinary history for ages. From age-old myths to family recipes passed down from generation to generation, apples have consistently taken center stage. Be it in pies, sauces, or dishes like the Caramel Apple French Toast Casserole, apples have a way of making their presence known.
How to Make Overnight Caramel Apple French Toast Casserole
- 1 loaf of French bread (the older, the better, Cousin)
- 6 of the largest eggs you can find
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream (for that rich touch)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon of that real vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- A lil’ sprinkle of ground nutmeg and salt
Caramel Apple Swagger:
- 4 big ol’ apples (Granny Smith or Honeycrisp)
- 1/2 cup butter (make sure it’s unsalted)
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed tight)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- A sprinkle of ground nutmeg and salt
How to make Overnight Caramel Apple French Toast Casserole:
Getting that Caramel Apple Swagger Right
- In your favorite skillet, melt that butter like it’s a summer day.
- Mix in brown sugar, heavy cream, cinnamon, nutmeg, and that pinch of salt. Keep stirring till it’s smoother than a jazz tune.
- Slide in those apple slices. Cook ’em till they’re soft and dripping with that caramel goodness.
Assembling the French Toast Casserole
- Get that French bread sliced up nice and thick. Lay them out in a greased dish like they’re sunbathing.
- Whisk eggs, milk, cream, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a big ol’ bowl till it’s all friendly-like.
- Pour that mix over the bread. Make sure every slice gets a good soak. Pop it in the fridge and let it dream about becoming famous overnight.
It’s Baking Time, Cousin
- Heat up that oven to 350°F.
- Bring out that casserole and let it wake up for about 20 minutes.
- Spread that caramel apple magic all over the bread like it’s lotion.
- Pop it in the oven and bake till it’s golden and looking fabulous, about 35-40 minutes.
The Final Touch:
- Once it’s out, give it a minute to cool down (it’s been working hard, after all). Drizzle some caramel or even a scoop of ice cream on top. Call the family and get ready to feast!
This Overnight Caramel Apple French Toast Casserole ain’t just breakfast; it’s an event, Cousin! Perfect for those special get-togethers or just ’cause. So, go on and whip up this mouthwatering masterpiece and let your taste buds have the party they deserve! Enjoy, Cousin, and remember – breakfast is the most important party of the day!
Love French Toast? Try my other recipes!
Print and save this recipe for later!
Overnight Caramel Apple French Toast Casserole
- 1 large loaf French Bread cut into cubes
- 3 cups chopped apples small chunks 3 large apples
- 8 large eggs- room temp
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar unpacked
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- Spray a 9×13 inch casserole dish with non-stick baking spray.
- Chop your bread and apples.
- Combine the bread chunks and chopped apples and lay in the casserole dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, whipping cream, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Pour the mixture evenly over the bread.
- Cover the casserole, and store in the fridge overnight.
- Next day, preheat the oven to 350°F
- Bake for about 35-40 minutes.
- In a small saucepan add the butter and sugar. Heat it up over medium heat, and stir until melted.
- Drizzle the sauce over the casserole.
- Serve the casserole warm with whipped cream.
- Serve, and enjoy!