How to make the very best southern, soul food style VEGETARIAN Meatloaf.. Who’s ready to be amazed?!
Recently I challenged my husband to go a week without meat. I swear to you, the man looked at me like I had lost my mind! LOL!! He fired back with ” If you can make a vegetarian meatloaf, I will go meatless for two weeks”.. Now, I’m not sure if he realized who he was talking or not, but clearly he had me twisted! Chile’ I got my butt up, headed to the kitchen, and took on the challenge. It took me about three attempts, but darn it- I DID it! I came up with a bangin’ vegetarian meatloaf recipe ( soul food style of course!). My husband was amazed! He couldn’t believe that I made a vegetarian meatloaf. He cleaned his plate, and asked me to make it again! BTW, his butt didn’t go meat free for 2 weeks, but he did manage to go a week without meat!
So how did I do it? What ingredients did I use for my vegetarian meatloaf? Read down below 😉
My vegetarian meatloaf is mostly made of red beans, quinoa, and quick oats. Like other meatloaf recipes, this one has peppers, onions, and garlic.
I like to use fresh herbs for this meatloaf such as rosemary, sage, and thyme. However, dry herbs can be used.
Prepping this vegetarian meatloaf is a little time consuming, but the end result is worth it.
Try it out, and tell me what you think!
- (2)15 oz can of red kidney bean, undrained
- 2 cups brown quinoa, cooked
- 2¼ cups quick oats, uncooked
- 1½ cup cornmeal
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 1 medium bell pepper
- 1 medium yellow or white onion
- 5 green onions
- 3 large carrots
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- 3 sage leaves, chopped
- 2½ tsp seasoning salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¾ cup BBQ sauce
- Toss the carrots, bell peppers, and onions in a food processor or blender.
- Pulse until everything is well minced, then place everything in a large mixing bowl.
- Next add the beans( with the liquid in the can), cooked quinoa, and oats in the food processor, and pulse until everything is well combined.
- Add the quinoa, oats, and bean mixture into the mixing bowl with the veggies.
- Now add in the garlic, chopped herbs, and seasonings.
- Drizzle in the olive oil.
- Mix the ingredients, and pour in the vegetable broth.
- Sprinkle in the cornmeal.
- Mix again until everything is well combined.
- lightly oil a 9 x 5 loaf pan then add in the "meatloaf" mixture.
- Bake on 375 F for 45 minutes.
- Remove the meatloaf from the pan, then place on a cookie sheet.
- Slather on the BBQ sauce.
- Put the meatloaf back in the oven, and bake until the sauce is nice and sticky ( about 15 minutes).
- Remove from the oven, and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Serve, and enjoy!