In this post we’re making Southern Green Beans and Potatoes. My mother used to make this dish as a main dish when I was younger, and she would serve it along with cornbread. During the holidays, or for Sunday dinner, I serve this as a side dish.
This recipe is super easy. It has your carbs, your vegetables, and your meat so you are good to go. I highly suggest serving this along with my buttermilk cornbread because the two pair nicely!
Give this recipe a try and tell me what you think.
Southern Green Beans and Potatoes
- 1 lb fresh green beans washed and cut
- 1/2 lb ham cubes
- 4 large russet potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 6 cups water
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Place the ham and onions into a large pot. Drizzle the vegetable oil into the pot, and turn the heat to medium. Brown the ham, and the onions then pour in the water.
- Turn the heat up to medium high, and let boil for 30 minutes.
- Add in the green beans, and reduce the heat to medium.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes, then add in the potatoes.
- Cook until the potatoes are tender.
Leave a Comment