How to make the very best southern, soul food style VEGETARIAN Meatloaf.. Who’s ready to be amazed?!
An Easy and Delicious Southern Style Vegetarian Meatloaf Recipe!
Recently I challenged my husband to go a week without meat. I swear to you, the man looked at me like I had lost my mind! LOL!! He fired back with ” If you can make a vegetarian meatloaf, I will go meatless for two weeks”.. Now, I’m not sure if he realized who he was talking or not, but clearly he had me twisted! Chile’ I got my butt up, headed to the kitchen, and took on the challenge. It took me about three attempts, but darn it- I DID it! I came up with a bangin’ vegetarian meatloaf recipe ( soul food style of course!). My husband was amazed! He couldn’t believe that I made a vegetarian meatloaf. He cleaned his plate, and asked me to make it again! BTW, his butt didn’t go meat free for 2 weeks, but he did manage to go a week without meat!
So how did I do it? What ingredients did I use for my vegetarian meatloaf? Read down below 😉
My vegetarian meatloaf is mostly made of red beans, quinoa, and quick oats. Like other meatloaf recipes, this one has peppers, onions, and garlic.
I like to use fresh herbs for this meatloaf such as rosemary, sage, and thyme. However, dry herbs can be used.
While you’re here, check out some of my other vegetarian recipes!
Prepping this vegetarian meatloaf is a little time consuming, but the end result is worth it.
Try it out, and tell me what you think!
Print the recipe below and subscribe for more! Follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and YouTube!
Southern Style Vegan Meatloaf
- 215 oz can of red kidney bean, undrained
- 2 cups brown quinoa cooked
- 2 1/4 cups quick oats uncooked
- 1 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 medium bell pepper
- 1 medium yellow or white onion
- 5 green onions
- 3 large carrots
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary leaves chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 3 sage leaves chopped
- 2 1/2 tsp seasoning salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup BBQ sauce
- Toss the carrots, bell peppers, and onions in a food processor or blender.
- Pulse until everything is well minced, then place everything in a large mixing bowl.
- Next add the beans( with the liquid in the can), cooked quinoa, and oats in the food processor, and pulse until everything is well combined.
- Add the quinoa, oats, and bean mixture into the mixing bowl with the veggies.
- Now add in the garlic, chopped herbs, and seasonings.
- Drizzle in the olive oil.
- Mix the ingredients, and pour in the vegetable broth.
- Sprinkle in the cornmeal.
- Mix again until everything is well combined.
- lightly oil a 9 x 5 loaf pan then add in the "meatloaf" mixture.
- Bake on 375 F for 45 minutes.
- Remove the meatloaf from the pan, then place on a cookie sheet.
- Slather on the BBQ sauce.
- Put the meatloaf back in the oven, and bake until the sauce is nice and sticky ( about 15 minutes).
- Remove from the oven, and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Serve, and enjoy!