Creamy cheesy southern, soul food macaroni and cheese made in the slow cooker. No boiling pasta, no eggs, and without Velvetta & evaporated milk!
My slow cooker macaroni and cheese recipe has got to be one of my top recipes here on iheartrecipes.com! I shared my easy CrockPot mac and cheese in February 2016, and since then it has been a featured on several websites, social media sites, and even talked about on the radio( What’s up Jersey!). Anywho, I figured since you all liked that version of my slow cooker macaroni and cheese – Why not share another?! In this blog post, I’m going to show you how to make Greek Yogurt Mac & Cheese in the slow cooker!
So before we get started, let me tell you that there are some ingredients that will make you think that I lost my darn mind. However, I need you to trust me on this y’all. The ingredients might sounds strange, but I promise that there is nothing funny about the taste nor texture!
Soooo, what funny ingredients am I speaking of?! Are you ready??.. GREEK YOGURT, and CHICKEN BROTH! Yup, these key ingredients are not to be skipped. My last recipe consisted of canned cheese soup. A lot of you loved it, but I want to give you an alternative to using canned soups and Velvetta when making macaroni and cheese. Don’t get me wrong. I love both, but it’s nice to try new things!
The greek yogurt is going to give our macaroni and cheese a thick creamy texture, that is freaking divine. The chicken broth is added help to cook the pasta, AND add flavor.
I simply combine the greek yogurt & chicken broth with half and half, melted butter, and seasonings. The outcome = A DARN good, and creamy mac & cheese sauce!
Watch me make this creamy cheesy Greek yogurt macaroni and cheese in my slow cooker!
- 1 lb elbow macaroni pasta, uncooked
- ½ lb smoked gouda cheese, shredded
- 1½ lb sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ lb monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 32 oz Greek yogurt
- 1 cup half & half OR ½ cup whole milk & half cup heavy cream
- 4 tbsp salted butter, melted
- 2¾ cup chicken broth
- 2 tsp seasoning salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1½ tsp onion powder
- 1½ tsp garlic powder
- In a large bowl combine the greek yogurt, butter, chicken broth, and half & half.
- Stir until well combined.
- Sprinkle in the seasoning salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, and cayenne pepper.
- Stir until everything is well incorporated.
- Next toss the uncooked macaroni into the slow cooker.
- Now add the cheese in the slow cooker.
- Stir, then pour in the creamy mixture( greek yogurt, chicken broth, and etc..)
- Stir everything until well incorporated.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker, then set the slow cooker on low.
- Let cook for 3 hours.
- Serve and enjoy!