Homemade Shepherd’s pie, made with ground beef, chicken, frozen mixed vegetables, and creamy potatoes.
A little over a month ago I asked my subscribers on YouTube, which recipes they wanted. A lot of people said shepherds pie. Although, I had previously uploaded a shepherds pie recipe on my blog, I think that a lot of my readers, and YouTube subbies wanted more of a “traditional” shepherds pie. You know the kind with ground beef, mixed vegetables, tomato sauce, and etc.
I personally am getting pretty tired of the same old traditional recipes these days, so I spiced things up. Instead of using just ground beef, I decided to use chicken as well.
Also, I jazz up the potatoes a bit by whipping them with a combination of cream cheese, and sharp cheddar cheese. The potatoes always come out super creamy, and flavorful!
Check out this video tutorial for my fabulous shepherds pie recipe!
- 1½ lb ground beef
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into cubes
- 16 oz bag of frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 small onions, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 14.5 oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil, plus more for greasing
- 7 medium sized golden potatoes, peeled & chopped
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 oz cream cheese, at room temperatiure
- 2 tsp seasoning salt or salt free seasoning
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp paprika
- Boil the potatoes until softened, then drain.
- Place the cooked potatoes in a large mixing bowl, and mix until creamy.
- Add in the cream cheese, and cheddar, then mix until well combined. Then set the bowl to the side.
- Drizzle the vegetable oil into a large pan or dutch oven.
- Turn the heat to medium.
- Once the oil is hot, add in the chicken breast, and cook until done.
- Once the chicken is done, remove it from the pan/ or pot, and pour out the liquid as well.
- Next add in the ground beef, and brown.
- Add in the vegetables, onions, and garlic.
- Now add the chicken back into the pot, and stir.
- Pour in the tomato paste, then sprinkle in the seasonings.
- Stir all the ingredients until well combined, then let cook for another 15 minutes, then turn the heat off.
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Grease a 9x13 bake dish, then add in meat & vegetable mixture, and smooth it out into a even layer.
- Top the meat & veggie mixture with the creamy potato mixture and smooth out.
- Leave the shepherds pie uncovered, and bake in the oven for 45-55 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Serve & enjoy!
You can use both chicken & beef, or one or the other.
Russet potatoes can be used instead of the yellow potatoes.