Although I have already shared my Old Fashioned Cornbread Dressing with you all, I felt the need to give you a variety this holiday. This year I’m sharing my Italian Sausage Cornbread Dressing, and honey it screams the holidays. Whenever I make this dressing it always remind me of episode of ” The Fresh Prince Of Bel Air” when all of the women were fighting about who made the best dressing. I specifically remember one of them making a sausage dressing.
I made this recently for one of my many dinner parties, and it between this dressing, and my creamy macaroni and cheese my guest were head over heels!
The key ingredient to this dressing in absolutely the Italian sausage. I prefer using mild Italian sausage, but you can use hot if you choose. You can definitely take some shortcuts with this recipe by using boxed cornbread instead of my homemade sweet cornbread.
Italian Sausage Cornbread Dressing
- Crumble your cornbread into a large mixing bowl. Now add in your dressing croutons.
- Fold in the cornbread and croutons.
- In a large pan, add two tbsp of olive oil. Place the pan on the stove, and turn the heat to medium.
- Add your Italian sausage into the pan, and cook it until it browns.
- Once your meat browns, add in the chopped onion and bell peppers.
- Saute the vegetables until they soften, and be sure to drain any visible fat.
- Place your sausage, onion, and peppers into the large mixing bowl and fold in the ingredients.
- Pour your beaten eggs into the bowl, along with the chicken broth. Fold in the ingredients.
- Sprinkle in the ground sage, then fold in.
- Butter your bake pan, then pour in your dressing, and spread it throughout the pan.
- Bake your dressing on 375 for 20 minutes.