(Part of this post was accidentally posted as the classic macaroni and cheese. I apologize if this appears to be a duplicate.)
SO many people have made macaroni and cheese, and claimed it to be southern, and all it was baked macaroni and cheese. I remember going to a cookout , a year ago, and the host of the party keep bragging to all of the guest how bomb his wife’s mac and cheese was. Being that macaroni and cheese is one of my favorite foods, I was excited to get a taste of this “famous” mac and cheese. This man keep telling everyone that it was the real deal, and it was truly southern. My mouth was watering, and frankly I just wanted him to shut up, and go grab me a plate. About 2 hours into the cookout the wife, finally came out with this huge platter full of mac and cheese. Everyone raced to the front of the line to dig in. When I finally made my way to the front of the line, I wanted to freaking cry! The so called macaroni and cheese that I had been waiting for was nothing more than boxed macaroni and cheese smothered in mild cheddar! Ooh that really burned my biscuits! Sadly, a lot of people make their ” famous” macaroni and cheese like this. Seriously- get on Instagram, search “soul food ” and see how many people try to pass off the boxed mac and cheese for the real deal, LOL!
For my southern baked macaroni and cheese I use several cheeses. Also instead of using regular milk I use half & half, and evaporated milk. I have to be honest here, and tell you that this dish is super high in fat and calories ( like all things that taste so freaking good). That is why I only make this dish a few times a year( holidays)
Southern Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni pasta
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 cups American and mild cheddar shreds
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 14 oz can evaporated milk
- 2 cups half & half
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Drain the pasta, and rinse under cool water. Set it to the side
- Add all of the cheeses, except 1 cup of sharp cheddar, and 1/2 cup monterey jack cheese.
- Next add in the pasta, then the salt, and black pepper. Fold in.
- Spray your bake dish with non sticking spray, then pour the macaroni into the dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the macaroni.
- Bake uncovered on 350 F, for 40 minutes.
- Let the macaroni and cheese sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.