This easy holiday-inspired dessert will be the talk amongst your guest! This simple Peppermint Ganache Swiss Roll Cake should definitely be a part of your Christmas spread!
Hey cousins! Happy Holidays! These past few years, I haven’t shared many Christmas recipes. Well, that changes today! This holiday season, I’m going to share a ton of holiday-inspired desserts that your family will love. First up is this simple Peppermint Ganache Swiss Roll Cake!
What is a Swiss Roll Cake?
So you’ve never tried making a Swiss roll cake, and you honestly don’t know what it is, huh? No problem, I’ll school you! A Swiss roll cake is a sponge-like cake that is usually filled with frosting, cream, or even jelly. Swiss roll cakes are also referred as log cakes and jelly roll cakes. These cakes are super popular around the holidays, especially Christmas.
Ingredients you need for this Peppermint Ganache Swiss Roll Cake
- cocoa powder
- kosher salt
- baking powder
- granulated sugar
- unsalted butter, softened
- vanilla extract
- peppermint extract
- confectioners sugar
- sweet chocolate chips
- heavy whipping cream
- crushed peppermint candy
- mini chocolate chips
Equipment needed to make this Swiss roll cake
So now that you have the ingredients list, let’s talk about the cooking utensils that you’ll need to whip up this cake. First up is a stand mixer or hand mixer for mixing the ingredients. You will also need measuring cups, measuring spoons, and of course, several mixing bowls. A spatula will be needed for frosting the cake as well.
Chocolate Peppermint Ganache Swiss Roll
Peppermint Buttercream Ingredients
Chocolate Ganache Ingredients:
- 1 Cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 Cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 Cup crushed peppermint candy
- 1 Cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a 15×12 cookie sheet with parchment paper
- In a large bowl, whisk together cocoa powder, flour, baking powder and salt. Set the side
- Cream the butter and sugar together using a handheld or stand mixer.
- Start adding in 1 egg at a time until well incorporated.
- Next, add in 2 tsp vanilla extract, and 1 tsp peppermint extract.
- Gradually start adding in dry ingredients, and mix until well combined, but do not over mix.
- Pour the cake batter onto the parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until the cake is done to the touch.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- While the cake is still warm, roll the cake into a log inside the parchment paper.
- Allow the cake to cool completely while rolled up.
- Now it’s time to make the peppermint buttercream!
- Combine the ingredients for the vanilla buttercream, and mix until creamy.
- Unroll the cake, and spread the peppermint buttercream onto the cake.
- Roll the cake backup and place into the fridge while you make the Ganache.
Chocolate ganache directions
- Using a small pot, heat up the heavy whipping cream until it comes to a low boil.
- Place the chocolate chips into medium sized glass mixing bowl.
- Once the heavy whipping cream is heated, pour over the chocolate chips.
- Allow to sit for 1 minute before mixing. Then mix until it's nice, and creamy.
- Remove rolled from fridge and place onto a wire rack
- Pour the ganache over the cake
- Sprinkle some of the crushed peppermint candy and mini chocolate chips all over
- Allow the ganache to set before cutting in to the cake.
- Serve and enjoy!