One of my first uploaded videos on YouTube was a 7up cake recipe. I uploaded it many years ago, back in 2011 to be exact. I was surprised that a lot of people had never heard of a seven up cake, and asked what it was. So what exactly is it? It’s a lemon lime flavored pound cake flavored with 7up soda. The soda pop actually not only flavors the cake, but it also works as a rising agent! Lot of people were amused… Some people were still confused. LOL.. Anyway this time around I am back with another 7up cake recipe. However this time around I’m making a homemade CHERRY 7up cake!
After years of playing around with my recipe for seven up cake, I actually changed a few things. One thing is I actually use fresh lemon & lime zest. I believe that the zest adds a ton of flavor. Also, I don’t just throw everything in the mixing bowl anymore ( shame on the old me!HAHA!) . These days, I start off with the butter, then the sugar, then… well- I actually make a cake like it’s suppose to be made! Also, I make sure to use all room temperature ingredients.
I use Cherry 7up for this cake. However you CAN use regular 7up is you choose. It may not have as much cherry flavor, but it can be used. Remember to use REAL BUTTER for this recipe… NOT margarine. Margarine simply does not do this cake any justice.. So for best results, use real salted butter.
Check out my tutorial for this cake
OH DARN IT!!!! I forgot to mention that I added salt. Be sure to follow the written directions!
Cherry 7up Cake Recipe
- 2 sticks softened salted butter
- 3 cups of granulated sugar
- Zest of 1 medium lemon
- Zest of 1 medium lime
- 5 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup maraschino cherries minced
- 1/4 cup juice from cherry jar
- 3/4 cup Cherry 7up or regular 7up
- 1 1/4 cup of confectioners sugar
- 1/4 cup of 7up
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 tsp cherry juice from jar
- Place the butter in the bowl, and mix until it's nice and fluffy.
- Add in the sugar, and mix the ingredients until well combined.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, and mix.
- Next, add in the lemon & lime zest, and salt. Now mix.
- Add in the cherries, and the cherry juice, and mix.
- Alternate adding in the all purpose flour, and 7up.
- Once everything is well incorporated, spray your cake pan with baking spray.
- Pour the cake batter into the cake pan, and smooth out.
- Bake the cake on 325 F for 1 hour 25 minutes to 1 hour 35 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven, and let cool.
- Combine all the ingredients for the glaze in a cup or small bowl, and mix until lump free.
- Once the cake is cool, pour or spoon out the glaze all over the cake.
- Let sit for at least 15 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!