How to make southern sock it to me cake from scratch. No cake mix, no short cuts.
Hey y’all! In this post we will be making some good old fashioned homemade southern sock it to me cake completely from scratch. There will be no use of cake mix, no other shortcuts. We will be making this Sock-It-To-Me Bundt Cake recipe with cake flour, butter, sugar, and a few more ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen.
The History of Souther Sock it to Me Cake
So first things first, let’s talk about the sock it to me cake history. Supposedly the cake got it’s name from the popular 60’s and 70’s term “sock it to me”. What sock it to me mean? It’s pretty much like asking someone to give something to you. Since everyone asks for this cake, it was only right to call is sock it to me cake. It’s just that darn delicious!
As mentioned, unlike a lot of sock it to me cake recipes, I don’t use cake mix (anymore). I prefer to make it from scratch. I use cake flour, unsalted butter, granulated sugar, eggs, and no baking soda nor baking powder!
Find more easy and delicious cake recipes here:
Don’t forget to save & share this recipe on Pinterest!
Scroll down below so that you can watch me make my homemade southern sock it to me cake from scratch! FYI I used a Calphalon nonstick tube pan for my cake 😉
Subscribe to I Heart Recipes on YouTube – never miss a recipe upload!
Southern Sock It To Me Cake
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice or vanilla extract
- In a large mixing bowl combine the sugar and butter. Mix until it's nice and creamy.
- Next add in the eggs, and mix until everything is well incorporated.
- Pour in the vanilla extract, and continue to mix.
- Now start alternate adding in the cake flour, and heavy cream. Be sure to add a little bit of flour at a time!
Brown Sugar Batter
- Add two tbsp of the cake batter to a large mixing bowl.
- Next add in the brown sugar, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, butter, and chopped pecans.
- Mix until well combined, then set to the side.
- Add half of the cake batter into a tube pan or bundt pan.
- Next, add the pecan & brown sugar mixing op top of the cake batter.
- Add the remaining cake batter on top of the pecan & brown sugar mixture.
- Bake the cake in a preheated oven on 350 F for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven, and let cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- After the 10 minutes, place the cake on a cooling rack, and let cool.
- Combine the powdered sugar, milk, and lemon juice, then mix until creamy.
- Drizzle the icing all over the cake ( once it's cool), and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Serve, and enjoy.