Easy chicken & sausage gumbo recipe, made with minimum ingredients!
Hey cousins! Because of everything going on right now, I’m going to change everything up a bit. Instead of making more oxtail recipes, and etc, I thought it would only be right to stick to budget friendly recipes right now. Because of this quarantine, so many of us a stuck in our homes, have limited ingredients. So I’m going to try to keep things as easy as possible, and I’m going to get started off with quarantine dish # 1 – Chicken & Sausage gumbo!
Delicious & easy gumbo with chicken and sausage
Unlike my other gumbo recipe, there is no seafood in this one. Just some cheap chicken and sausage. I’m going to be using what I have in my freezer! I suggest you do the same. For the chicken I decided to use wings, and for the sausage I used some spicy sausage that I had on hand. If you have another piece of chicken that you’d like to use, feel free to do so. The same with sausage! However I don’t recommend using breakfast sausage!
Check out my video tutorial for this chicken & sausage gumbo!
Print out my chicken and sausage gumbo recipe from the recipe card below! And don’t forget to subscribe to I Heart Recipes on YouTube (never miss a recipe video).
Chicken & Sausage Gumbo
- 4 lbs chicken I used wings
- 1 lb sausage smoked or spicy
- 1 cup chopped peppers & onions
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cup okra
- 3 tsp creole seasoning
- 1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 2 tsp thyme
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups steamed hot rice
- Season the chicken with the garlic salt, 1 tsp thyme, 1/2 tsp black pepper.
- Pour the oil into a pan, and heat up over medium. Once the oil is nice and hot, start adding the chicken in, but be sure not to overcrowd the pan otherwise the temperature will drop!
- Once the chicken is browned ( we're just browning it at this point!), remove it from the oil, and put it in a large pot( the pot you will be cooking the gumbo in).
- Next, carefully pour oil into a boil , but do not discard because we will be using it later!
- Put the pan back on the burner, and toss in the sausage. Brown the sausage, then toss it in the pot along with the chicken.
- Now add the peppers and onions into the pan, and cook until they soften. Toss the peppers and onions into the pot along with the chicken and sausage.
- Pour 6 cups of chicken broth into the large pot, then place it over medium high. Let cook for 45 minutes.
- Next pour the reserved oil back into the pan, and heat over medium.
- Once the oil is nice and hot, sprinkle in the flour, and whisk.
- Continue to cook the roux until it's nice and chocolate brown (Milk chocolate… not dark chocolate y'all! LOL). Then turn off, and remove the pan from the heat.
- Head over to the pot and add in the roux, and remaining seasonings.
- Give everything a nice stir, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add in the okra, and stir. Cook for another 20 minutes or so.
- Serve and enjoy with rice!
Leave a Reply to Rosie Cancel reply