Gumbo made without roux, but it still has that authentic flavor!
Hey cousins! I’m back with a highly requested recipe. This time around I’m going to show you how to make Slow Cooker Faux Gumbo! So many of you are gumbo fans. Many tried and love my Seafood, Sausage, and Chicken Gumbo, others rave about my quarantine sausage and chicken gumbo, but y’all still had a few requests. Some of my cousins wanted me to make gumbo in the Crock Pot, and others want a gumbo without a roux. So I decided to combine the two, and share my slow cooker faux gumbo.
Don’t get it twisted y’all… Just because I call this my faux gumbo, doesn’t mean that it’t not packed with flavor. I simply call it faux gumbo because there isn’t a roux. Instead I sneak tomato paste in the mix ( don’t come for me!! It’s STILL fire!!)
Make no mistake this gumbo is indeed amazing. Serve it with cornbread, rice, and hot sauce, and your family will be amazed. Get the recipe below, and don’t forget to leave your questions and comments down below! XOXO
Print the recipe below, and be sure to share it with your friends and family!
Slow Cooker Faux Gumbo
- 2 lbs crab leg clusters
- 1 lb jumbo shrimp deveined
- 1 lb andouille sausage chopped
- 2 lbs chicken your favorite piece
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 tsp creole seasoning
- 1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 8 garlic cloves minced
- 1 large green bell pepper diced
- 1 large yellow onions diced
- 2 cups chopped okra fresh or frozen
- 1 tbsp gumbo file'
- Add the tomato paste and chicken broth into a 6 qt, and mix well.
- Next add in the chicken, andouille sausage, onions, bell peppers, okra, garlic, creole seasoning, and black pepper.
- Turn the slow cooker on high, and let cook for 4 hours.
- Once everything has been cooking for 3 hours add in the crab, and shrimp.
- Stir the ingredients, and place the lid back on the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle in the gumbo file' during the last 15 minutes of cooking, and stir in.
- Once the gumbo is done serve with rice, cornbread, and hot sauce.