Canned baked beans recipe made with dark brown sugar, ground turkey or beef, molasses, and pineapples.
Whenever I throw a barbecue, I make a lot of side dishes. I’m talking about all of my favorites…..Potato salad, macaroni salad, and of course baked beans. I love baked beans, I truly do. However I get bored with the same old hickory beans, and barbecue bean recipes.
I actually prefer sweet tender baked beans cooked it a rich brown sugar syrup. My latest addiction is brown sugar and pineapple baked beans. If you’ve never had them, let me tell you… This stuff is AMAZING!! The combination of brown sugar and pineapples makes the perfect syrup for these baked beans.
For my baked beans recipe I use canned navy beans. I make sure to drain the liquid out of the can, then I rinse the beans under cool water. The beans are then combined with diced onions, peppers, ground turkey ( or beef), and a delicious syrup. The syrup is a combination of brown sugar, pineapple juice, yellow mustard, molasses, water, and lemon zest.
I bake the beans in the oven for a total of 2 hours, and the outcome is simply unbelievable!
Check out my video tutorial for these baked beans!
Brown Sugar and Pineapple Baked Beans
- 1 lb ground turkey or ground beef
- 415 oz cans of navy beans, drained and rinse
- 20 oz canned pineapple chunks in juice
- 1 3/4 cups dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp mild molasses
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- Tbsp of lemon zest
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet peppers
- 1 tbsp celery flakes
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- Salt and pepper season to your taste
- Drain and rinse the beans, then set them to the side.
- Brown the ground turkey over medium heat, and drain all visible fat.
- In a large bowl combine the pineapple juice, brown sugar, mustard, molasses, water, and lemon zest.
- Put the beans in a 9x13 along with the cooked ground turkey, onions, peppers, and pineapple.
- Stir the ingredients until everything is well incorporated.
- Sprinkle in the celery flakes, and salt & pepper.
- Pour in the pineapple juice and brown sugar mixture.
- Make sure everything is well combined, then cover the bake dish with foil or lid.
- Bake on 350 F for one hour and 30 minutes.
- Remove the beans from the oven, and scoop out about 1 cup of the liquid.
- Combine the liquid with 1 1/2 tbsp of cornstarch and mix until it's lump free.
- Pour the liquid back into the bake dish, and stir.
- Cover the beans back up, and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove the beans from the oven, uncover, and stir.
- Let cool until they are safe to eat.
- Serve and enjoy!
Leave a Comment