A tropical shot perfect for casual parties of every kind! It doubles as a dessert and can be prepared a few days in advance.
The challenge with serving most group-sized alcoholic beverages, such as punch, is that they take up a lot of space in your fridge and on your table. Not to mention, the mess of ladling out punch and the increased spill risk.
These Blue Malibu Breeze Jello Shots can be prepared in advance and stacked in your fridge until you are ready to add the toppings. If one gets dropped, cleanup is much easier than punch, beer, or wine.
Serve them at barbecues, holiday parties, birthday parties, and more. With the whipped cream and cherry toppings, they are also a red, white, and blue dessert perfect for the Fourth of July. Here’s a Red, White, and Blue Rice Krispies recipe for the kids—and adults!
Are Malibu Breeze Jellow Shots a Dessert or a Cocktail?
Let’s call it an alcohol-infused dessert. It’s a sweet treat, but the rum gives it a bit of a kick.
Unlike baked desserts that are infused with rum, these shots are intoxicating—therefore they must only be served to adults 21 years or older. In terms of alcohol content, with the recipe below, approximately four 2-ounce Jello shots equal one shot of rum.
As always, drink responsibly and assign a designated driver or take an Uber or Lyft home.
How Far in Advance Can I Make Malibu Breeze Jello Shots?
When you have a large group coming over, you want to prepare as much in advance as possible. This recipe can be made 3 to 5 days in advance and stored in the refrigerator.
They need to sit flat while they chill. Once chilled, you can save space in your fridge by popping them in a drawer or a container, where they don’t have to be perfectly flat. Just make sure the lid is on so that they stay fresh.
On the day of, all you have to do is add the whipped topping, maraschino cherries, and pineapple wedges.
Maximize space and create a stunning table or countertop display by layering them on a tiered tray.
How to Travel With Jello Shots
If you are looking for something fun for a BYOB party, these shots are perfect!
Unlike shelf-stable Jello, they should remain refrigerated until it’s time to serve. That being said, your host may not have the space in their fridge. Not to worry, as you can easily fit a batch in a mid-sized insulated lunch bag or a handheld cooler. Just make sure you have enough room for the toppings.
What Do I Serve Jello Shots In?
The easiest way to serve Jello shots is in 2-ounce condiment cups with lids. This minimizes cleanup as they can be tossed in the trash. You can order these cups online or find them in local party stores. You can even find biodegradable plastic cups, “easy squeeze” cups designed specifically for Jello shots, and reusable sampling cups.
Some reusable cups even come in fun shapes such as hearts. This is perfect for bachelorette parties, anniversaries, or Valentine’s Day parties.
For ease and an elevated look, transfer them to disposable or reusable tasting spoons.
You can also portion them onto a decorative serving tray and place a toothpick on top to serve like an appetizer. To minimize the jiggle of eating with a toothpick, you may want to set your shots in 1-ounce condiment cups instead of 2-ounce condiment cups.
How to Release Jello Shots From the Cup?
Releasing Jello from its condiment cup can be challenging. Even when you squeeze the cup a few times before taking your shot, it can stick to your cup.
Here are a few techniques:
- Use easy squeeze cups that release the Jello when you squeeze the sides.
- Run a toothpick along the sides to release, then squeeze to release the bottom.
- Run a spoon along the sides to release the Jello or use the spoon to eat it.
- Use your finger or tongue to release the shot from the sides.
- Pre-squeeze them onto miniature tasting spoons so no squeezing is required.
- Pre-squeeze them onto a tray and eat them with a toothpick, minus the toppings.
Can I Double This Malibu Breeze Jello Shot Recipe?
Yes! This recipe makes 16 shots, but it can easily be doubled. It’s also an easy recipe to make multiple batches all at once, or as time allows in the days before your party.
Many of your guests will want more than one, so prepare for at least 2 to 3 per person. Or bring one or two batches as your BYOB or potluck dessert to share with the crowd.
Not everyone loves sweet alcoholic beverages, so if you are hosting, consider offering another alcoholic option or two—as well as non-alcoholic options.
Malibu Breeze Jello Shot Preparation Tips
Whether you have made Jello or Jello shots numerous times, or never before, these tips will help!
- Chill the rum—the colder the rum is, the faster your shots will set, which is anywhere between 2 and 4 hours. If you are in a rush you can speed up the chill time by popping them in the freezer for the first 20 minutes, but not longer or they will get grainy.
- Use a cookie sheet—arrange the shot cups on a cookie sheet or in a casserole dish. This will minimize the mess if you spill when pouring. It also makes it easier to transfer your shots from the counter to the refrigerator.
- Use a spout—whether it’s a large mixing cup or a small mixing bowl, make sure you mix the ingredients in a container with a spout. This will make it easier to transfer and keep spills to a minimum.
- Garnish just before serving—while the shots can be made 3 to 5 days in advance, you must wait until it’s time to serve before garnishing. Otherwise, the whipped cream will melt, and the maraschino cherries and pineapple wedges will dry out. Feel free to chop the pineapple the day before and store it in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
More Easy Jello Shot Recipes
- Strawberries & Cream Pie Jello Shots
- Lemon Meringue Pie Jello Shot
- Snickerdoodle Jello Shot
- Pumpkin Latte Jello Shot
Blue Malibu Breeze Jello Shots
- 6 oz Blue Raspberry Jello
- 1 Cup Cold Water
- 1 Cup Coconut Rum
- Whipped topping
- Maraschino Cherries
- Pineapple wedges
- Bring 1 cup of water to a boil.1 Cup Cold Water
- Add the Blue Raspberry Jello to the boiling water.6 oz Blue Raspberry Jello
- Mix to combine until the jello is dissolved. .
- Pour in 1 cup chilled coconut rum.1 Cup Coconut Rum
- Mix to combine.
- Pour the Malibu Breeze Jello shot mixture into individual condiment cups on a tray, then place in the fridge to cool until completely set.
- Garnish with toppings right before serving, and enjoy!Whipped topping, Maraschino Cherries, Pineapple wedges