Creamy yellow squash casserole made southern style! It’s made with sour cream and it’s super cheesy!
Hey y’all who’s in the mood for some good old fashioned southern squash casserole? I seriously can eat it every darn day! I remember I recreated Paula Deens cheesy squash casserole, it was love at first bite! No joke, I loved it. I enjoyed the recipe so much that I added it to my favorite holiday recipes collection. I did, however make a few changes. Not a whole lot, but a few slight ones. Instead of using Ritz crackers ( which I love), I like to use fried crispy onions – Like Frenchs. To me it’s more flavorful.
This cheesy yellow squash casserole is amazing! Instead of using cream of mushroom, this squash casserole is made with sour cream. It’s also loaded with parmesan, and sharp cheddar cheese. The yellow squash is thinly sliced then smothered in a creamy cheesy sauce ( that’s also loaded with sweet yellow onions).
Finally this southern squash casserole is topped with delicious golden fried onions. Once the casserole is good to go, it’s place in the oven, and baked to perfection!
When it comes out of the oven you have the most amazing creamy cheesy southern squash casserole.
Save & share this PIN on Pinterest!
Print the recipe below, and be sure to subscribe to my mailing list!
Southern Squash Casserole
- 6 medium yellow squash thinly sliced
- 1 large yellow onion thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp salted butter
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cup French's Crispy Fried Onions crushed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly oil a 9 inch bake dish, then set to the side.
- Melt the butter in a large pan over medium heat.
- Once the butter is melted add in the squash & onions.
- Saute' until translucent, then toss into a large mixing bowl.
- Add in the cheddar cheese, parmesan, and sour cream.
- Mix until well combined, then sprinkle in the salt & peppers.
- Fold the ingredients, then add the mixture into the 9 inch bake dish.
- Sprinkle the crushed fried onions on top.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from the oven, and let cool.
- Serve & enjoy!
Try these recipes as well!