Easy Mexican pork and hominy stew, with a red broth made of a blend of chiles. This slow cooker pork pozole recipe is super easy to make!
Hey cousins! I’ve been craving some good old-fashioned pozole. I usually only make pozole once a year (for Christmas), but my hunger got the best of me, so I decided to break out my Crock Pot, and make my slow cooker pork pozole!
My recipe for pork pozole is on the easier side. I use pork shoulder, pig feet, hominy, spices, and a variety of chile pods. Unlike the traditional cooking method (which would be cooking this on the stovetop), I prefer to make my pozole in the slow cooker. Making my pork pozole in the Crock-Pot prevents me from having to babysit the pot. While my pozole cooks, I usually tend to other duties around the house or prepare my side dishes.
Speaking of side dishes, here are a few things that I like to serve along with my easy slow cooker pork pozole:
- Potato Tacos
- Tex Mex Beef Skillet w/ corn tortillas
- Birria Quesadillas
- Lengua Tacos
Again, my recipe calls for pig feet. I am aware that some people aren’t fans of that. Therefore you can replace the pig feet with neck bones or add more pork shoulder!
Try my recipe for my easy slow cooker pork pozole, and tell me what you think!
Slow Cooker Pork Pozole Recipe
- 4 lb pork shoulder, bone in
- 1.5 lb pig feet
- 2 medium onions cut in quarters
- 8 cloves fresh garlic
- 12 cups water
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 1/2 tsp oregano
- 3 large bay leaf fresh or dried
- 3 tsp seasoning salt I use my Rosamae Seasonings Seasoning Salt!
- 3 tsp chicken flavor bouillon
- 12 cups water
- 3 large New Mexico pepper pods seeds removed
- 3 large Pasilla Ancho pepper pods seeds removed
- 2 large California pepper pods seeds removed
- 50 oz canned hominy drained and rinsed
- shredded cabbage
- lime wedges
- Grab a 6 qt slow cooker, and add in the pork shoulder, pig feet, onions, garlic, and all the seasonings and spices.
- Next pour in 8 cups water, and set the slow cooker on low for 8 hours.
- During the last 2 hours of cooking, place the chile pods (seeds removed) into a medium size pot. Pour in 4 cups water.
- Place the chile pods and water over high heat and boil until they are soft (about 30 minutes).
- Once the chile pods are softened, place them into a blender, along with 1 1/2 cup of the water that was in the pot. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the blended chiles into the slow cooker and cook.
- During the last hour of cooking, remove the pork shoulder from the slow cooker. Shred or chop the meat, then place it back into the slow cooker.
- Add in the hominy at this time, and stir the ingredients.
- Let cook for the remaining hour.
- Once done, serve with desired toppings and sides.
Don’t forget to subscribe to I Heart Recipes on YouTube to see all of my recipe videos, cooking tips, and more! You can also follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest to keep up with all things Rosie and I Heart Recipes!