In a few days I will be the big 34, and I Heart Recipes will be 9! Last month I decided to celebrate early ( because I wanted cake.. anything for cake!), and made a semi homemade birthday cake. I wanted something chocolatey – but not too sweet, and colorful! I headed to my local Dollar Tree to see what I could find, and guess what? They had EVERYTHING that I needed!
I picked up a boxed of Pillsbury traditional yellow cake ( yup, they sale Pillsbury at the Dollar Tree!), some chocolate fudge frosting – also by Pillsbury, and rainbow sprinkles.
I already had the eggs, and vegetable oil needed for the birthday cake, but I also picked up some plastic forks, napkins, candles, and paper plates..
I simply followed the directions on the back of the cake box, and added some colorful sprinkles in the batter. I baked the cakes, let them cool, frosted them.. and CHILE, let me tell you.. The cake was SO DARN GOOD! Like seriously. It was cheap to make, and super delicious.
Parents & everyone else – take notes.. No need to buy your child ( or yourself, or someone else) an expensive birthday cake. Make it yourself, and save your money for a gift, or something else.
If you want to make this cake to appear more “mature”, omit the sprinkles, and use plain white candles.
Watch me make this simple Birthday Cake
Simple Birthday Cake Recipe
- 15.25 oz box of yellow cake mix plus ingredients listed on the back of the box
- 1 ADDITIONAL egg to make it taste like it's made from scratch, optional
- 1 tbsp rainbow sprinkles plus more for decorating
- 16 oz of chocolate frosting I had two 10 oz jars in the video
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Pour the cake mix into a medium sized bowl, then whisk out the lumps.
- Next add in the ingredients listed on the back of the cake box.
- Mix the cake batter until it's smooth & lump free, then add in the sprinkles.
- Fold the sprinkles into the batter.
- Lightly oil& flour a 8 inch cake pan, and pour in half of the batter ( to make two layers, OR you can make a sheet cake.)
- Bake the cakes for about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and let the cakes cool.
- Once the cakes are cool, frost them, and sprinkle in the rainbow sprinkles.
- Let the cake sit for at least 20 minutes, then add the candles.