Homemade Pizza That Will Rival Any Fast Food Joint!
A few months ago, my hubby and I were reminiscing about the good old days. We spent at least 1 good hour talking about childhood memories. One memory that we were both had was the TGIF line up. Who remembers that?! Family Matters, Step By Step, The Dinosaurs, and more. I remember when I was younger, every other Friday my mom would order a pizza or buy a frozen one. We would eat pizza, camp around the TV and watch “Urkel”… Man Ol’ man, those were the days. Unfortunately, there isn’t a whole lot of family friendly television shows these days. It’s unfortunate that our kids won’t be able to experience the same tv shows that we did; HOWEVER, we can still create some pretty awesome family nights. That’s what my hubby and I have decided to do. We have officially turned Fridays into our family nights.
Our family nights consist of movies, pizza, and videos games… Oh and did I mention Pizza?! 🙂 . For the longest, we had been going to Papa Johns (which we love), but recently I have been making homemade pizzas. I’m not talking about buying premade crust/ dough, sauce, and then putting it all together. I’m talking about making my own dough & sauce! Why make my own pizza instead of buying it? BECAUSE IT’S CHEAPER, and I have TOTAL control of what goes on & in my family’s pizza…I can control the sodium, sugar, etc. when I make my homemade pizzas. Also, making pizza is actually fun! My son loves to make pizza. Most of the time I simply make the dough & sauce, and HE builds the pizzas!
In the video & recipe below, I’m going to show you how I make MY Homemade Pizza. You can get as crazy as you want with the toppings! Here are some suggestions:
- Cheese (of course!)
- Italian Sausage
- Ground Beef
- Sweet Peppers
- Sun Dried Tomatoes
- Canadian Bacon/ Ham
Okay, so those are just a few of many toppings that you can use. Later down the road, I will share more gourmet style pizza recipes, but first let’s learn the basics.
Check out the video!
Homemade Pizza: No more Takeout!
- Pour 1/2 cup of warm water into your stand mixer/ mixing bowl, then sprinkle in the active dry yeast, and 1 tbsp of granulated sugar.
- Whisk the ingredients together, then let it sit for about 5 – 7 minutes, or until the yeast foams.
- Next pour in the rest of the warm water, and add in 3/4 tsp salt, 2 tbsp of olive oil, and the bread flour.
- Mix the ingredients until it forms into dough, and knead the dough for about 10 minutes.
- Lightly oil a large mixing bowl, then place the dough in the bowl.
- rubs a small amount of oil onto the dough, then cover the bowl, and let the dough rest ( in a warm area) for 1 & 1/2 hours.
- Once the dough has rested, punch it in the middle to remove the excess air.
- Sprinkle your pizza pan with 1 tbsp of cornmeal, then place the dough on top of the cornmeal.
- Use your fingers to press & flatten the dough into your desire shape & size.
- Add the tomato paste and water into a medium sized pan, and whisk together.
- Place the pan over medium heat, then pour in 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- toss in all of the seasonings, sugar, and grated parmesan. Mix until well combined, and let it cook for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and let the sauce cool down before using.
Don’t forget to tag and follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest, subscribe to I Heart Recipes on YouTube, and check out all my cookbooks! I just released a brand new cookbook, Super Soul Food with Cousin Rosie, with many recipes you can’t find anywhere else.
If you enjoyed this homemade pizza, check out these other restaurant-quality recipes!