How to make the very best cheddar broccoli soup! My family absolutely loves this recipe, and you will too!
A Quick and Delicious Cheddar Broccoli Soup Recipe!
Creamy cheddar broccoli soup is definitely one of my all time favorite soup recipes. It’s like comfort in a bowl!
I like to load my cheddar broccoli soup with cheddar ( because y’all know I love cheese), and I also like to add a bit our sour cream.
While you’re here, check out some of my other soup recipes!
I like to use half & half when I make my cheddar broccoli soup, but if you’d like you can use regular whole milk.
Cheddar Broccoli Soup
- 1 lb broccoli
- 2 large carrots shredded
- 1 sweet onion
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 lb sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 4 tbsp salted butter
- 60 oz chicken broth
- 1 ½ cup half & half
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 ½ tbsp Cornstarch
- Cut your broccoli into 1 - 2 inch chunks.
- Remove the tough outer layer from the stalk and cut this as well.
- Boil your broccoli in a large pot until it’s tender but still has a bite to it.
- While you boil your broccoli, dice your sweet onion.
- After dicing your onion, add the onion to 4 tbsp of butter in a large pot on medium heat.
- Drain the broccoli and set aside.
- Once the onion is soft and translucent, add in the garlic, and stir.
- Next, pour in the broth and milk.
- Add in the sour cream, and whisk.
- Stirring constantly, slowly add the cheese.
- Keep stirring until all of the cheese has melted.
- Add the broccoli and shredded carrot.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour 1 cup of cold water and 1 ½ tbsp of cornstarch into a glass measuring cup.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Add 1 more tablespoon of cornstarch at a time to this mixture until your mixture is thick but still liquid.
- Slowly pour the mixture into your hot soup, stirring constantly.
- Add cornstarch mixture until your soup has reached the desired consistency.
- Cook soup for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.