How to make the very best cheddar broccoli soup! My family absolutely loves this recipe, and you will too!
A Quick and Delicious Cheddar Broccoli Soup Recipe!
Creamy cheddar broccoli soup is definitely one of my all time favorite soup recipes. It’s like comfort in a bowl!
I like to load my cheddar broccoli soup with cheddar ( because y’all know I love cheese), and I also like to add a bit our sour cream.
While you’re here, check out some of my other soup recipes!
I like to use half & half when I make my cheddar broccoli soup, but if you’d like you can use regular whole milk.
Print this recipe, and don’t forget to follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and YouTube!
Cheddar Broccoli Soup
This creamy, cheesy homemade cheddar broccoli soup is the perfect way to warm up on a cold winter day.
Servings 6 servings
- 1 lb broccoli
- 2 large carrots shredded
- 1 sweet onion
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 lb sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 4 tbsp salted butter
- 60 oz chicken broth
- 1 ½ cup half & half
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 ½ tbsp Cornstarch
- Cut your broccoli into 1 - 2 inch chunks.
- Remove the tough outer layer from the stalk and cut this as well.
- Boil your broccoli in a large pot until it’s tender but still has a bite to it.
- While you boil your broccoli, dice your sweet onion.
- After dicing your onion, add the onion to 4 tbsp of butter in a large pot on medium heat.
- Drain the broccoli and set aside.
- Once the onion is soft and translucent, add in the garlic, and stir.
- Next, pour in the broth and milk.
- Add in the sour cream, and whisk.
- Stirring constantly, slowly add the cheese.
- Keep stirring until all of the cheese has melted.
- Add the broccoli and shredded carrot.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour 1 cup of cold water and 1 ½ tbsp of cornstarch into a glass measuring cup.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Add 1 more tablespoon of cornstarch at a time to this mixture until your mixture is thick but still liquid.
- Slowly pour the mixture into your hot soup, stirring constantly.
- Add cornstarch mixture until your soup has reached the desired consistency.
- Cook soup for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Can you cook your broccoli in the cicken broth?
I love your recipe ideas and the easy to follow instructions; especially, when it comes with visual step-by-step instructions. I look forward to trying this ‘Cheddar Broccoli Soup’ recipe first chance I get to go to supermarket & reload. Do you have a recipe for homemade coconut pineapple cake? You know that old fashion ‘make you wanna slap somebody’ good tasting cake. Thank you for all the great stuff you’re rolling out on your posts .
Hi Floria!!! I am literally making my revised coconut cake today, but it won’t be up until late next month 😉
Daniel Flagler says
Hey Rosie! I have tried sooooo many of your recipes and everyone just love everything I cook. You make cooking so easy. I am trying this recipe tonight. I know I will love it just like I love everything else
Hi Daniel! Thanks so much for trying my recipes!