Sheet Pan Italian Lemon Chicken and Asparagus is a savory dish featuring cubed chicken tenderloins seasoned with a blend of spices and baked alongside fresh asparagus, all generously drizzled with a zesty lemon butter sauce. This flavorful meal is both easy to prepare and perfect for a delicious dinner.
Hey cousins! So, I stumbled upon this recipe that I just have to share with you all – it’s Sheet Pan Italian Lemon Chicken and Asparagus. Now, you know I’m all about those easy, delicious recipes that don’t take a whole day in the kitchen. Well, this one is a total winner!
Picture this: tender chicken and fresh asparagus, all jazzed up with lemon and garlic, coming together in one pan. The best part? It’s super simple. You just chop up the chicken (you know, those tenderloin pieces), toss them in some spices – we’re talking salt, pepper, a bit of Italian seasoning, and a dash of smoked paprika for that smoky touch.
Then, you lay out the asparagus on the baking sheet. Give them a quick season too. But here’s the kicker – you mix up some melted butter, a splash of olive oil, a bit of garlic, and a few other goodies, and just drizzle that all over the chicken and asparagus. It’s like giving them a cozy butter blanket!
Pop it in the oven, and in no time, you’ve got this mouth-watering dish that’s perfect for a weeknight dinner, but fancy enough to impress anyone. Trust me, when you pull this out of the oven, the smell alone will have everyone rushing to the table.
So, next time you’re thinking about what to cook, give this Baked Lemon Garlic Chicken and Asparagus a try. It’s quick, easy, and oh-so-tasty. I can’t wait to hear what you all think!
How to Make Sheet Pan Italian Lemon Chicken and Asparagus
- Chicken Tenderloins: The main protein of the dish, tenderloins are used for their tender and lean qualities. They’re cut into cubes for even cooking.
- Kosher Salt: Enhances the overall flavor of the chicken and asparagus.
- Freshly Cracked Black Pepper: Adds a slight heat and depth to the seasoning.
- Onion Powder: Gives a subtle onion flavor to the chicken without the texture of fresh onions.
- Italian Seasoning: A blend of dried herbs, it brings a classic Italian flavor to the dish.
- Smoked Paprika: Adds a smoky flavor to the chicken, complementing the lemon and garlic.
- Lemon Garlic Pepper Seasoning: A pre-made seasoning blend that infuses the chicken with a citrusy and garlicky taste.
- Asparagus: Serves as a fresh, green side that bakes alongside the chicken, absorbing the flavors of the sauce.
- Unsalted Sweet Cream Butter: Forms the base of the sauce, adding richness and helping to keep the chicken moist.
- Olive Oil: Enhances the texture of the sauce and adds a subtle, fruity flavor.
- Minced Garlic: A key flavor component, it adds a pungent and aromatic taste to both the chicken and asparagus.
- Cajun Hot Sauce: Provides a spicy kick to the dish, balancing the lemon’s acidity.
- Chicken Broth: Adds depth to the sauce and helps to keep the chicken tender and juicy.
- Lemon: The juice is used in the sauce for a bright, acidic component, and lemon slices are used for garnish, enhancing the dish’s visual appeal and flavor.
- Minced Parsley: Used as a garnish, it adds a fresh, herby note and a pop of color to the finished dish.
- Begin by preheating the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and lining a baking dish with parchment paper to prevent sticking.
- Next, cut the chicken tenderloins into 1-2 inch bite-sized pieces, place them in a bowl, and set aside. This step starts the exciting process!
- In a small bowl, blend the salt, black pepper, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, smoked paprika, and onion powder together. This mixture will add a burst of flavor to the dish.
- Thoroughly coat the chicken pieces with this spice blend, ensuring each piece is evenly covered. This step is crucial for layering the flavors.
- Now, focus on the asparagus. Wash and trim them, then arrange them on both sides of the prepared baking sheet. Lightly season them with salt and pepper.
- Prepare the sauce in a separate bowl by mixing together the melted butter, olive oil, minced garlic, hot sauce, chicken broth, and lemon juice. This sauce is key to unifying the flavors of the dish.
- Place the seasoned chicken pieces among the asparagus on the baking sheet. The enjoyable part comes next – evenly drizzle the delicious lemon butter sauce over both the chicken and asparagus.
- These steps ensure each component of the dish is infused with flavor and ready to be baked to perfection.
This chicken and asparagus dish can be safely stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Here are the instructions on how to save, and reheat the leftovers.
Sheet Pan Italian Lemon Chicken and Asparagus Leftover Tips
- Cool Down: Allow the leftovers to cool to room temperature. Avoid leaving them out for more than 2 hours to prevent bacterial growth.
- Airtight Container: Transfer the chicken and asparagus into an airtight container. If you have sauce left, store it in a separate container to maintain the texture of the chicken and asparagus when reheating.
- Refrigerate: Place the containers in the refrigerator. Make sure they are sealed well to keep the food fresh and prevent absorbing other odors from the fridge.
- Oven Method (Recommended): Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the chicken and asparagus on a baking sheet and cover loosely with aluminum foil to prevent them from drying out. Heat for about 10-15 minutes or until thoroughly warmed. If you’re also reheating the sauce, do so in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Microwave Method: For a quicker option, you can use a microwave. Place the leftovers in a microwave-safe dish, cover with a microwave-safe lid or wrap, and heat on medium power. Check every 30 seconds to prevent overheating and stir if needed. Typically, 1-2 minutes should be sufficient, depending on the amount and the microwave’s power.
Remember, when reheating, ensure that the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit to ensure it’s safe to eat. Reheating the food only once is advisable for the best quality and food safety.
Want more sheet pan recipes? Check these out!
Print this Sheet Pan Italian Lemon Chicken and Asparagus recipe, and save it for later!
Sheet Pan Italian Lemon Chicken and Asparagus
- 1 large package of chicken tenderloins cut into 2-inch cubes
- 2 tsp Kosher salt
- 2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 4 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp lemon garlic pepper seasoning
- 2 bunches of asparagus rinsed and trimmed
- 1 cup unsalted sweet cream butter melted
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp Cajun hot sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp minced parsley
- Lemon slices for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking dish with parchment paper.
- Cut the chicken tenderloins into bite-size pieces (about 1-2 inches) and set aside in a medium bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, black pepper, Italian seasoning, smoked paprika, and onion powder. Mix the spices together, then coat the chopped chicken with the spice mixture.
- Arrange the trimmed asparagus on each side of the baking sheet. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, combine the melted butter, olive oil, minced garlic, hot sauce, chicken broth, and lemon juice to create the sauce.
- Place the seasoned chicken pieces between the asparagus on the baking sheet. Drizzle both the chicken and asparagus with the prepared lemon butter sauce.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the chicken is cooked through and the asparagus is tender.
Don’t forget to tag and follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest, subscribe to I Heart Recipes on YouTube, and check out I Heart Soulfood, Super Soul Food with Cousin Rosie and A Cousin Rosie Holiday with many recipes you can’t find anywhere else.