It’s that time of the year again! Our babies are going back to school, which means our schedules are even more busy and our time is limited! Over the next couple of months I will be sharing plenty of Crock Pot , and quick and easy dinner recipes. I hope to give you all plenty of dinner ideas, that will help you spend less time in the kitchen during the busy school week.
When my son first started school it was pure torture on me, and my family. We were so unorganized , and dinner was usually fast food and takeout for my husband and son. Why? Because at the time I had been working 12 hour shifts, and since my dear hubby can’t cook a lick, that’s was the best option for them. I know, I know- Shame on me, but I didn’t know what to do, I had a lot of things going on. About 1 month into the school year, I realized just how much money was being spent on eating out. I knew there had to be solid way to feed my family, and save money on my work days.
I decided to go to my garage, and dust of my Crock Pot ( which I should have done prior to my baby starting school). I remember hearing about “freezer meals”, and decided to look into it. I wasn’t pleasantly surprised on what I found, and I couldn’t how easy and affordable these meals were! I decided to start making my very own freezer meals. Once I made my freezer meals, I labeled them, and included simple instructions for my husband to follow ( usually ” just put this in the Crock Pot for 6 hours”..LOL)… Making these meals have saved us a lot of money, and time.
Sweet and Sour Pork, is one of my favorite Crock Pot and Freezer Meals. It’s super cheap to make, and the prep time is under 10 minutes. My family enjoys this meals over a bed of rice. I never have to worry about any additions to this meal because it has carbs, vegetables, and protein!
For the Pork You can use
If you don’t eat pork you can use
Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
Boneless Skinless Chicken Thigh
This meal can be made right after preparation or frozen for a week or two before placing it into the Crock Pot. Give this meal a try and tell me what you think. Be sure to watch my video for visual directions!
Sweet and Sour Pork in the Crock Pot
- 1 lb pork cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup cup chopped pineapple
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- Pour the ketchup into a large mixing bowl, then add the brown sugar, and mix the ingredients.
- Now add in the Garlic, onions, carrots, celery, and pineapple. Fold the ingredients.
- Last but not least, add in the pork, and fold in with the other ingredients.
- Place in a freezer, and save it for another day or go to the next step
- Place the contents into a slow cooker, and set the slow cooker for 6 hours.
- After the sweet and sour pork has been cooking for 4 hours, add in one tbsp of cornstarch, and stir.
- After the 6 hours is up, serve the Sweet and Sour Pork over a bed of rice, and enjoy!