Light moist homemade coconut cake that’s made completely from scratch!
Since it’s the holiday season I find myself baking a lot of cakes. You know the usual holiday favorites like German chocolate cake, and my personal favorite, coconut cake! A few years ago I shared a recipe for moist coconut cake, but since then I’ve revised my coconut cake recipe and it’s even better!
This easy coconut cake is made from scratch. I don’t use any cake mix. I simply use cake flour, unsalted butter, granulate sugar, and get this- NO baking soda, nor baking powder!
I like my coconut pound cake to be pure white, so instead of using whole eggs, I only use egg whites. I also use clear vanilla extract & clear coconut extract.
I use my nonstick tube pans. I don’t grease or flour them. If you want to grease and flour your cake pans, you can. If you’re not using nonstick cake pans, DEFINITELY grease and flour those pans y’all!
This cake always comes out super moist! It’s a family favorite in my household!
Save & Share this coconut cake recipe on Pinterest!
Check out my video tutorial for this coconut cake! Don’t forget to subscribe to I Heart Recipes on YouTube – never miss a recipe upload!
Coconut Cake Made from Scratch
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 3 tbsp half & half
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- In a large bowl toss in the butter flavored shortening, unsalted butter, and granulated sugar.
- Cream the ingredients together, then add in the egg whites. Also add in the vanilla, and coconut extract.
- Once everything is well mixed, alternate adding in the cake flour and half & half.
- Once the cake batter is nice and smooth, pour it into a nonstick tube or bundt pan (if you don't have a nonstick cake pan, be sure to grease and flour it prior to adding in the cake batter.)
- Put the cake in the oven, and let bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes (or until done).
- Remove the cake from the oven, and let cool in the cake pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the cake pan, and place on a cooling rack.
- Combine all of the icing ingredients in a medium sized bowl, and mix until it's nice and creamy.
- Once the cake is cool, place it on a cake stand and ice the cake.
- Sprinkle the shredded coconut on top of the cake.
- Serve and enjoy!