How to make EASY Hickory Smoked Barbecue Chicken on a small charcoal grill!
Hey friends! A few post back I shared a recipe for Grilled Barbecue Rib Tips. As promised, I have another barbecue recipe! This time I am going to show you how to make a super easy hickory smoked barbecue chicken!
This recipe is super easy, and I will use minimum ingredients. I actually use my homemade barbecue rub to season the chicken, which I have a recipe for. If you’re not up to making a the rub, you can use a store bought rub, however- you will be missing out!
To keep this recipe really easy, I used my favorite store bought sauce, you can definitely make homemade sauce if you choose, as a matter of fact- I will be sharing some homemade barbecue sauce recipes pretty soon!
To prevent my chicken from burning, I used indirect heat. It took about 1 hour and 15-20 minutes, but it was worth the time. Keep in mind that I used a small charcoal grill for this recipe, and to add smokey flavor I added some hickory wood chips on top of the charcoal. It added enough ( not an excessive amount) of smoke to flavor the chicken.
Hickory Smoked Barbecue Chicken
- 1 lb chicken legs and thighs
- 2 tbsp barbecue seasoning rub
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cup your favorite bbq sauce use less or more to your taste
For the Grill
- great quality charcoal I use Kingsford Original
- hickory wood chips make sure that you soak them for at least 1 hour prior to using them
- Rinse and clean 1 pound of chicken legs and thighs.
- Season with homemade barbecue rub.
- Drizzle chicken with extra-virgin olive oil and apple cider vinegar.
- Using your hands, make sure chicken is nicely coated.
- Marinate for 4 hours or overnight.
- Soak hickory woodchips for at least one hour before grilling.
- Heat charcoal. Once charcoal is nice and hot, place woodchips directly on top of charcoal.
- Cook chicken over indirect heat for approximately 25 minutes.
- Dab barbecue sauce on chicken.
- Every 20 to 25 minutes, turn and baste the chicken with the barbecue sauce until the chicken is cooked throughout and the sauce is sticky.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and serve while hot!