Lasagna has to be one of the most requested recipe request within this past week! I decided to make a lasagna, but step away from the traditional version. Sure, I love the old fashioned lasagna as much as the next person, however chicken lasagna has been one of my favorite dishes since I was a child.
I make this lasagna completely from scratch! Unlike many lasagnas, I don’t use ricotta nor cottage cheese for this recipe. Instead, I make a super creamy gouda cheese sauce that will knock your socks off! I also like to add a lot of vegetables to this lasagna. This lasagna has eggplant, colorful sweet peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, spinach, and onions. I roast the all vegetables ( except the spinach) in the oven to help remove some of the liquid from the veggies ( you don’t want a watery lasagna right?!) Roasting the vegetables also gives them a great texture .
Give this recipe and try tell me what you think!
Chicken Lasagna Recipe
- 1 box oven ready lasagne pasta
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs or breast
- 1 large zucchini peeled and sliced
- 1 large orange sweet pepper sliced
- 1 large red sweet pepper sliced
- 1 large egg plant sliced thin
- 1 medium sized onion sliced
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 1 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 3 cups shredded gouda cheese
- 4 cups Italian blend cheese
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 4 tbsp salted butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 4 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 3 tbsp salt free seasoning
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- Place all the vegetables, except for the spinach, in a roaster pan and drizzle 2 tbsp of the canola oil over the veggies. Sprinkle 1 tbsp of the salt free seasoning, and Italian seasoning on the veggies, then toss.
- Roast the vegetables on 400 for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile place 2 tbsp of canola oil in a pan, place over medium heat.
- Season the chicken with 2 tsp of salt free seasonings, then pan fry the chicken. Once the chicken is done, thinly slice it.
- In a large pot add 4 tbsp of butter, and place over medium heat. Once the butter melts and starts to bubble, sprinkle in the all purpose flour and stir.
- Pour in the heavy cream and whisk until the mixture is lump free.
- Add in the shredded gouda into the pot, and stir. Reduce the heat down to low.
- Cook the spinach in a pan, along with 1 tsp of canola over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Combine all of the vegetables in one bowl.
- At the bottom of a bake dish, add some of the vegetables, and chicken. Pour some of the cheese sauce on top, then add a layer of the lasagne pasta.
- Next add more vegetables, chicken, and cheese sauce, then add some of the Italian cheese blend, then pasta. Repeat twice.
- On top of the last layer of pasta, add the remaining of the cheese sauce, then Italian cheese.
- Cover the dish, then bake on 375 F for 35 minutes.
- Remove the cover from the pasta, and let bake for another 10-15 minutes.
- Let the lasagne sit for 10 minutes before serving.