Fork Tender Barbecue Oxtails in the slow cooker! A must have recipe to add to your soul food collection!
Who remember’s when oxtails used to be cheap?! I swear, my mom would make soul food style oxtails for Sunday dinner on the regular. My mom would usually smother the oxtails with gravy, and serve them over rice, along with some collard greens, and corn bread. These days, I oxtails are way to expensive for me to have on the regular. I usually only make them for special occasions, OR if I’m really craving them.
Well the other day my son asked me to make oxtails, which is pretty huge because lately he’s only been asking for chili dogs, and pizza ( like most kids). Luckily for him, I had oxtails in the deep freezer. Since my baby requested it, I wanted to make the oxtails super amazing.
My son loves everything barbecue, so I decided to make barbecue oxtails. Making these oxtails were super easy, because I slow cooked them in my CrockPot.
Slow Cooker Barbecue Oxtails
- Place the oxtails and onions into a large mixing bowl, then drizzle the oil all over the oxtails.
- Next make sure everything is nicely coated with the oil, then sprinkle the BBQ seasoning all over the oxtails.
- Place the oxtails and onions into a large pot, and place the pot over medium high heat.
- Brown the oxtails and onions, then remove from the pot, and place them into the slow cooker.
- Go back to the pot that you brown the oxtails in, and pour in the chicken broth OR water.
- Next add in the barbecue sauce, and liquid smoke.
- Mix everything, an let cook for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Pour the barbecue sauce over the oxtails, then place the lid on the slow cooker.
- Let cook on LOW for 6 hours.
- Serve with your favorite sides.