A Simple and Tasty Recipe for Baked Applesauce Donuts!
I recently purchased a donut pan, and I wanted to put some good use to it. I didn’t want to make a traditional donut, I wanted to try something different. I’ve always been an applesauce cake fan, so why not try an applesauce donut? I searched high and low online for an applesauce donut recipe, but many people made apple CIDER donuts. I was forced to develop my own recipe, and it wouldn’t be the first time. I keep this recipe pretty simple. Anyone can make these donuts. You can make this into a cake if you want! I previously made a homemade salted caramel sauce, and I had a lot of vanilla bark leftover from the holidays, so I used the sauce and melted vanilla bark to decorate the donuts. They also added a lot of flavor! Truthfully, you can get away with just the homemade salted caramel sauce. I just added the vanilla bark for color, and I wanted to get rid of it.
Check out these applesauce donuts drizzled with homemade salted caramel sauce!
It actually reminds me of caramel apples (I guess that’s why I came up with the idea!).
Now check out the applesauce donuts drizzled with the melted vanilla bark as well!
You can also use chocolate bark, sprinkles, etc. It really depends on you. Give this recipe a try and tell me what you think!
Don’t forget to tag and follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest, subscribe to I Heart Recipes on YouTube, and check out all my cookbooks! I just released a brand new cookbook, Super Soul Food with Cousin Rosie, with many recipes you can’t find anywhere else.
Baked Applesauce Donuts
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven on 325.
- Sift the all dry ingredients in a large bowl, then add in the egg, vegetable oil, and applesauce. Mix the ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, pour in the whipping cream. Use a hand-held mixer to mix the whipping cream until it starts to thicken.
- Add the thickened whipping cream along with the other ingredients.
- Pour in the vanilla extract, then mix the batter until it’s smooth and lump free.
- Pour the batter into a nonstick donut pan, and bake each batch for 10 minutes or until done.
Leave a Comment