The other day sweet iced tea, but not any of the store bought stuff. I wanted homemade iced tea! Initially I decided to make some old fashioned southern iced tea, but I remembered that I had some watermelon. So why not make a pitcher of fresh watermelon iced tea?! It sounds good right? Well let me tell you, that good is a understatement. This iced tea was freaking BOMB!!
For my watermelon iced tea, I used a super sweet fresh watermelon. I scooped out all the sweet red flesh from the watermelon, and liquified it in my food processor ( a blender can be used!), then I add sugar, and made a watermelon syrup!
As far as tea. I used regular black tea. You can use any brand of back tea that you want. Just make sure that it is nice quality, otherwise it may taste weak, and your watermelon iced tea will just taste like watermelon juice.
Here’s my video tutorial for Homemade Sweet Watermelon Iced Tea!
Watermelon Iced Tea
- 1 small watermelon about 2 lbs
- 5 black tea bags
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2-3 drops of red food coloring optional
- mint leaves optional
- Bring the 4 cups of water to a boil, then remove from the heat.
- Toss in tea bags, and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Cut the top of the watermelon off, and save for later
- Scoop out the red part.
- Place the red part of the watermelon into a blender of food processor, and liquify.
- Pour the watermelon juice into a pan, and sprinkle in the sugar.
- Mix until well combined, then bring to a boil, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Turn the heat off, then remove the pan from heat, and let sit for 5 minutes.
- pour the watermelon juice into a pitcher, along with the now concentrated tea.
- Add in a few drops of red food coloring ( optional)
- Stir,then let it sit until it cools.
- Cut the leftover watermelon into cubes, and clean the mint leaves.
- Place the mint leaves,watermelon cubes, and ice into a pitcher.
- Pour the watermelon tea over the ice.
- Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!