How to make homemade butter in a jar. You won’t believe how darn easy this is!
What do you think of when you hear someone say “homemade butter”? I’ll tell you what I think of. I think of my grandma, with a bonnet on, churning like hell. I’m sorry but it doesn’t sound pleasant! LOL That’s why someone offered to share their homemade butter recipe, I laughed it off. Heck, why make butter if I can buy it?! Well, that’s what I thought, until I had a taste of the homemade butter. Honey, let me tell you – I fell in love! Homemade butter & biscuits is BAE! No for real!
So I finally gave in. I was ready to make some homemade butter. I pulled my braid ups, and was ready to pull out my bonnet (yes – I have one, don’t judge me!), until my friend told me that all I needed was cream, salt, a jar, and marbles.
Yup, you heard me right. That’s all you need to make homemade butter. So pretty much you’re making homemade butter in a jar! Interesting right? Well let me share this recipe with y’all!
Don’t forget to share this PIN on Pinterest! Follow I Heart Recipes on Facebook and YouTube to never miss a new recipe.
Print this homemade butter recipe below! XOXO
Homemade Butter in a Jar
- Set out the cream for about 30-40 minutes to bring it to room temperature.
- Fill the jar about ½ way with the cream. (if using marbles, add them at this point. It’ll make the process a little quicker).
- Cover with lid.
- Shake the jar for about 10 minutes, open and look to see that it looks like whipped cream. Put the lid back on tight and continue shaking.
- After about 5 more minutes, open and see that the buttermilk is starting to separate from the cream. Put the lid back on tight again.
- Shake again for a few minutes until you have soft solid butter with the liquid buttermilk.
- Pour off the buttermilk. Put the butter in a bowl and pour in about a half cup of ice water to rinse the butter.
- Knead the butter for 5-10 seconds until the water is cloudy. Pour out the water and repeat 2 more times.
- Add the salt, then refrigerate.
- Serve & enjoy!