Moist and fluffy cornbread at it’s finest! Here is my recipe for Grandmas Southern Cornbread. It’s super easy to make, and takes very little time. For this cornbread I used a self rising buttermilk cornmeal mix. Therefore, I didn’t have to add any rising agent, nor flour! Try this recipe out for yourself and serve it with my Southern Black Eyed Peas!
Grandma’s Southern Cornbread
- 2 cups buttermilk cornmeal mixture
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 cup regular milk
- 1 egg
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
- Add 2 cups buttermilk cornmeal mixture to a large bowl. Add ¾ cup regular granulated sugar and ¾ tsp salt.
- Whisk dry ingredients, sifting well
- Add the following wet ingredients to dry ingredients: 1 cup regular milk, one egg, ½ cup vegetable oil.
- Mix all of the ingredients together.
- Spray loaf pan with nonstick spray.
- Pour cornbread mixture into loaf pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. (When toothpick or knife comes out clean, cornbread is done).
- Rub 1 tablespoon of butter (not margarinover surface of cornbread.
- Remove cornbread from loaf pan to cool slightly.
- Serve warm. Enjoy!