I really love cornbread. I am a cornbread-fed lady. My mom always made beans and rice, and cornbread was served on the side. I still cannot have beans without cornbread. To me, it would just be wrong! I want to introduce you all to my Corn Cakes
A lot of people opt out of having cornbread simply because they don’t realize just how easy and quick it can be when it’s homemade. Here is a recipe that is beyond frugal, and ANYONE can make it. Unlike your normal cornbread, this bread is in a pancake form. I like making it this way because it comes out light, fluffy and golden. Also, kids like it because it also makes a great snack along with a cold glass of milk. Make no mistake! This corn bread is delicious with beans and rice or smothered chicken; however, it can be served on its own as well! Give it a try.
- Add the flour, corn meal, salt, sugar, and baking powder. Sift the ingredients.
- Add the milk, eggs, and melted butter along with the dry ingredients.
- Mix the ingredients well until the batter is smooth.
- Heat your pan or electric griddle to about 400 degrees.
- Pour 1/3 cup of the batter onto the griddle or pan.
- When the corn cake starts to bubble, flip it over.
- Let the other side cook, until it is semi golden brown.
- Remove the corn cake from the griddle/pan, and let cool on a plate.
- Serve with beans and rice, smothered dishes, or alone and enjoy!
Don’t forget to tag and follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest, subscribe to I Heart Recipes on YouTube, and check out all my cookbooks! I just released a brand new cookbook, Super Soul Food with Cousin Rosie, with many recipes you can’t find anywhere else.