I really love corn bread. I am a corn bread fed lady. My mom always made beans and rice, and corn bread was served on the side. I still can not have beans without corn bread. To me, it would just be wrong! I want to introduce you all to my Corn Cakes
A lot of people opt out of having corn bread simply because they don’t realize just how easy and quick it can be when its homemade. Here is a recipe that is beyond frugal, and ANYONE can make it. Unlike your normal cornbread, this bread is in a pancake form. I like making it this way because it comes out light fluffy, and golden. Also, kids like it because it also makes a great snack along with a cold glass of milk. Make no mistake! This corn bread is delicious with beans and rice, or smothered chicken. However, it can be served on its own as well! Give it a try.
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 3 tsp baking powder
- Add the flour, corn meal, salt, sugar, and baking powder. Sift the ingredients.
- Add the milk, eggs, and melted butter along with the dry ingredients.
- Mix the ingredients well until the batter is smooth.
- Heat your pan or electric griddle to about 400 degrees.
- Pour 1/3 cup of the batter onto the griddle or pan.
- When the corn cake starts to bubble, flip it over.
- Let the other side cook, until it is semi golden brown.
- Remove the corn cake from the griddle/pan, and let cool on a plate.
- Serve with beans and rice, smothered dishes, or alone and enjoy!