Craving some island flavor? Well here’s another caribbean recipe for you all to enjoy. Easy Jamaican Oxtails. There are many recipe for Jamaican oxtails, but this is how I make mine!
Easy Jamaican Oxtails
Craving some island flavor? Well, here's another Caribbean recipe for you all to enjoy. These easy Jamaican oxtails are seasoned with fresh peppers and tomatoes.
Prep Time 8 hours 20 minutes
Cook Time 6 hours
Total Time 14 hours 20 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- 2 lbs oxtails
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp ground allspice
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1/4 chopped onion
- 1/2 chopped bell pepper
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 5 cups water
- 1 large jalapeno
- 2 cups dry lima beans quick soak method done
- 14 - 16 oz canned tomatoes
- Rinse the oxtails under cool water, then place the oxtails in a large bowl.
- Pour the soy sauce over the oxtails, then all of the seasonings and herbs ( not the flour or vegetable oil).
- Add the bell pepper, 1/4 cup chopped onion, and minced garlic. Use hand to mix everything.
- Cover the oxtails, and refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours.
- Remove the oxtails from the refrigerator and sprinkle the all purpose flour all over the meat.
- In a large pot, pour in the vegetable oil and turn the heat to medium high.
- Once the oil is hot, add in the roughly chopped onion followed by the oxtails.
- Brown the oxtails, then add in the water.
- Add the whole jalapeno.
- Let the oxtails simmer over medium heat for 2 1/2 hours,
- Once the oxtails are nice and tender, add in the dry lima beans( do a quick soak method before hand!). Next add in the tomatoes.
- Let simmer for 1 hour, or until oxtails and beans are tender.
- Serve with rice.