Craving some island flavor? Well here’s another caribbean recipe for you all to enjoy. Easy Jamaican Oxtails. There are many recipe for Jamaican oxtails, but this is how I make mine!
Easy Jamaican Oxtails
- 2 lbs oxtails
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp ground allspice
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1/4 chopped onion
- 1/2 chopped bell pepper
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 5 cups water
- 1 large jalapeno
- 2 cups dry lima beans quick soak method done
- 14 - 16 oz canned tomatoes
- Rinse the oxtails under cool water, then place the oxtails in a large bowl.
- Pour the soy sauce over the oxtails, then all of the seasonings and herbs ( not the flour or vegetable oil).
- Add the bell pepper, 1/4 cup chopped onion, and minced garlic. Use hand to mix everything.
- Cover the oxtails, and refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours.
- Remove the oxtails from the refrigerator and sprinkle the all purpose flour all over the meat.
- In a large pot, pour in the vegetable oil and turn the heat to medium high.
- Once the oil is hot, add in the roughly chopped onion followed by the oxtails.
- Brown the oxtails, then add in the water.
- Add the whole jalapeno.
- Let the oxtails simmer over medium heat for 2 1/2 hours,
- Once the oxtails are nice and tender, add in the dry lima beans( do a quick soak method before hand!). Next add in the tomatoes.
- Let simmer for 1 hour, or until oxtails and beans are tender.
- Serve with rice.