An Easy Tutorial on How to Cook a Whole Chicken in the Crock Pot!
Hey friends! With this being the busiest time of the year, I like to really put my crock pot to use. I don’t care how easy a dish may be-if I can put it in my Crock Pot, I will! Lately, whole chickens have been cheaper than usual at my local grocery store, so I’ve bought a few with several recipes in mind. I figured that if I made one whole chicken, I could make at least 4 freezer meals out of it. So after I planned my four meals, I decided to cook the chicken. How did I cook the chicken? Not in the oven. Not on my stovetop. I cooked the whole chicken in my Crock Pot, and OMG!! It was so juicy and tender! Let me tell you how I did it.
To be completely honest, there really isn’t much to this recipe. I simply season the chicken then stuff the chicken’s cavity with onions and whole garlic cloves.
Instead of using chicken broth for this recipe, I used plain ol’ water. I didn’t want to over season the chicken with a broth, because I’m using this chicken for several different recipes. Once everything was done, I reserved the liquid from the Crock Pot, and froze it so that I can make a nice pot of homemade chicken broth at a later date. FYI, you can use chicken broth if you want to.
Whole Chicken Made in the Crock Pot
- Drizzle the olive oil all over the chicken.
- Sprinkle on all of the seasonings, then rub all over the chicken.
- Stuff the chicken cavity with the onions and garlic cloves. If there are any leftover onions, toss them into the Crock Pot.
- Place the chicken into the Crock Pot, then pour in 4 cups of water.
- Cover the Crock Pot with the lid, then set the Crock Pot on HIGH, and let cook for 4 hours, or on low for 8 hours.
- CAREFULLY remove the chicken from the Crock Pot, and place it into a bake dish.
- Turn your oven on BROIL.
- Place the chicken into the oven, and broil until the skin turns golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, let cool, and Serve.
Like many of my recipes, I didn’t use any salt. I used a salt free seasoning. You CAN use salt if you choose.
Watch the Whole Chicken in the Crock Pot Video Tutorial!
If you liked this whole chicken in the Crock Pot, check out my other slow cooker recipes!
Don’t forget to tag and follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest, subscribe to I Heart Recipes on YouTube, and check out all my cookbooks! I just released a brand new cookbook, Super Soul Food with Cousin Rosie, with many recipes you can’t find anywhere else.