I freaking love beans and rice. When I was growing up, my mother made beans and rice at least twice a week. I remember my mother spending hours in the kitchen cooking her ham hocks until they were ” falling of the bone” ready, then adding her beans, and spices. She had, and still has so much patience when it comes to making beans. When I got older I found a lazy yet still effective way to make a mean pot of soulful beans. I simply slow cook mine! I slow cook my beans with smoked meat, usually ham hocks. The ham hocks add so much flavor that I use minimal ingredients.
There are alternative meats to use instead of ham hocks. However, for this dish I suggest sticking to smoked meats for the flavor. Smoked meats are cured, and when you cook with them, there’s a minimum need( if any) for any seasonings.
My favorite smoked meats
Smoked pork neck bones
I would recommend this recipe to all of the individuals whom love soulful beans and rice, but don’t want to stand over the stove for hours to create it! MUST HAVE A SLOW COOKER!
Slow Cooked Beans and Hamhocks
- 2 cups of light red beans
- 2 cups of pinto beans
- 1 medium sized onion chopped
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 4 large ham hocks
- 1 tbsp of dried parsley flakes
- 8 cups of water
- Start of by rinsing your beans under cool water. Get rid of any strange beans.
- Place your beans into the slow cooker.
- Add in your ham hocks, chopped onions, garlic salt, and parsley.
- Pour in the water.
- Let cook in your slow cooker for 6 hours.
- Be sure to stir periodically.