Hey Y’all! I’ve been getting a ton of requests for a homemade soul food style sweet potato pie. You know the kind with a flaky & buttery crust made completely from scratch. The kind of sweet potato pie recipe that reminds you of your grandmothers. Well, let me tell you that I have tried many sweet potato recipes in my life, but I do have a favorite one. Which one is my favorite? I would have to go with the recipe that I shared back in 2012. That recipe consist of ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a few other simple ingredients. These past couple years, I have changed a few ingredients , and I have totally perfected it.
Let me show and tell you how I make my revised sweet potato pie recipe!
For my sweet potatoes, I use yams, which in the USA, are still sweet potatoes, but they have orange flesh. I think using yams makes a prettier sweet potato pie, because of the color. I also think that it tastes better!
As mentioned, this is my revised recipe for my sweet potato pie that I uploaded back in 2012. I use a lot of the same ingredient, however I also use a couple of different ingredients as well!
- Instead of using half & half, I use evaporated milk
- I use less eggs. For this pie, I used 2 large eggs ( in the video I said one egg, but its 2 eggs!).
- I use bourbon vanilla extract, but you can use regular vanilla extract ( use real vanilla, not imitation.)
I changed my pie crust recipe up for old fashioned sweet potato pie. This time it will be more flavorful! I added more sugar, a combination of butter & butter flavored shortening. I love a nice buttery crust when it comes to my sweet potato pies, so that’s why I use real butter. I also like a nice flaky crust, and the combination of shortening and buttery always result in having a buttery flaky pie crust.
These days (for the filling) instead of boiling whole sweet potatoes, I wash, peel, and chop the sweet potatoes in cubes. I find that it cooks faster, and it’s actually a lot easier that way.
Watch the tutorial!
*****2016 Update: I bake the sweet potatoes instead of boiling them. I think that the flavor and texture is much better this way! Other than that, I still use the same ingredients listed below..
Sweet Potato Pie Recipe - Soul Food
- 1 lb sweet potatoes peeled & chopped
- 2 medium sized eggs
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 8 tbsp salted butter softened
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup cold salted butter diced or shredded
- 1/4 cup butter flavored shortening
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp ice water
- Sprinkle in 1 1/4 cup of all purpose flour into a large mixing bowl.
- Add in the cold butter, butter flavored shortening, 2 tbsp of sugar, 1 tsp salt, and 1 tsp of vanilla extract.
- Mix the ingredients until it forms into a dough, then wrap with plastic wrap and store the dough in the refrigerator.
- Toss the peeled and chopped sweet potatoes into a medium sized pot, and pour in about 4-6 cups of water.
- Place the pot over high heat, and boil the potatoes, until they are fork tender.
- Once the potatoes are done, drain the water, and let the potatoes cool.
- Toss the cool sweet potatoes into a mixing bowl, and whisk until the potatoes are nice and creamy.
- Sprinkle in 1 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg, 1/4 tsp ground ginger, and 1 cup granulated sugar.
- Next, add in two medium sized eggs, 1/2 cup of evaporated milk, 1 tbsp vanilla extract, and 8 tbsp of softened butter.
- Whisk until the mixture is nice creamy and airy.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator, flatten it out, then place it into a 9 inch pie pan.
- Bake the pie shell for 7-10 minutes on 325 F.
- Remove the shell from the oven, then turn the heat up to 350 F.
- Start adding the sweet potato pie filling into the pie shell, and smooth it out.
- Bake the pie for 45 - 50 minutes.
- Let the pie cool until it is room temperature.